Chapter 9: Finally

Matthew's POV
"She's gone. She left because of you!" I yelled as I turn around to face Shawn. "You pushed her too far! You shouldn't have yelled!
"You don't know that. Maybe she didn't know who to choose and you helped pressure her into it by confessing her love for her, so don't blame this on me." He said back.
The door opened. Me heart jumped with excitement thinking it was Zoe, but instead it was Kyle holding his luggage.
"Shawn..." He said. " what happened and where's Zoe?"
"Umm, uh well...um she..." Shawn couldn't get his words out because he was afraid to tell Kyle that he loved his girlfriend.
"The real question is why are you back so early?" Shawn finally said, hoping to change the subject.
"I wasn't doing well. I missed Zoe too much. I couldn't call, text, email, Skype, nothing. My head couldn't think straight so Saxon sent me home early. Now where's Zoe?" Kyle said while looking around.
I had nothing to lose by telling Kyle the truth, and if he wanted to fight, I definitely wouldn't mind. I've fought men small, husky. Even girls I thought were men. I've even fought police. Part of the reason I've been arrested a lot is for fights. I never told Zoe that I went to prison because of her. I didn't want her to feel bad.
"Shawn, Matthew, one of you need to give me an answer," I heard Kyle ask impatiently. "Where's Zoe?"
Man, did I want to kick his ass...
"Zoe left. She ran away because Shawn told her that he loved her, and I told her she belonged with me. Shawn said she need pied to choose between me, you,and him. She didn't answer and ran away." I confessed. Kyle looked pissed off, but it seemed he was pissed off at Shawn.
"Well, you said you know her best, so where could she have gone?" Kyle asked.
"I only know one playground where she and I went to when we first met. But that's back home. The place she would go to is the park or playground. Is there one nearby?" I asked.
"Yeah"Kyle said, "I know where one is."

On the ride there, Kyle drove, and Shawn sat beside him. I sat in the back, alone.
It was silent until Kyle asked, "You love my girlfriend?" He was looking at Shawn. Shawn just sat there quietly.
"You could have any girl you want but you chose mine?! Not only did you tell her you loved her, but you also told her she had to choose between me, you, and Matthew! Also, you chase her away. The only people she should have to choose fro, are me and Matthew because I'm her boyfriend and Matthew is her best friend. You're just a friend!"
Shawn yelled back. "It's not my fault I fell in love with her, maybe if you didn't leave her with me for two months I wouldn't have fallen in love."
Kyle was furious.
"You knows it's not my fault. I had to leave. But of course you wouldn't understand! You never work a day in your life!
Shawn's face turned bright red. "I'm always at work. I get mobbed everyday. All those girls throw mpthemselves at me. They want Shawn 'Young, rich, and famous' Morales. Sometimes I feel like no one will ever love me for me.
Kyle argued back. "Well sometimes it feels like all you'll ever be is 'Shawn, young, rich, and famous' Morales", he mumbles. "and you're always in the spotlight, but I'm not famous enough for you so I get pushed to the side and ignored like Internet Explorer."

I am enjoying this argument. It's like a really shitty opera that is really popular for some reason.

When Kyle pulled up to the park, I immediately saw Zoe, so I told Shawn and Kyle that I'd talk to her first. They didn't argue with that, I left them in the car and walked over to Zoe.

"Are you alright?' I asked.

"...Yeah." she mumbled. She sat there looking at the ground before she looks up at me and says, "When you said it was all for me, did that count the endless fights you've been in?'

I wasn't expecting that, but I answered anyways. "Yeah, I heard some boys say that they'd fuck you, so I beat their asses."

"That means you went to jail for me as well?"

"Yep, and I'd do it all again just for you." I smile down at her.

"Matthew, you didn't have to do any of that."

"I didn't do it because I had to, I did it because I wanted to."

A long silence came between us.

"Why does love hurt, Matt?" Zoe says as she grips her cardigan tighter around her shoulders.

"Zoe, love doesn't hurt us. It's the stupid things we do when we're in love. Or what we do when we think we're in love. Love doesn't hurt us, if it does, then it's not love. It's fake. That's how I know my love for you is real because what I do for you doesn't hurt me. If it's for you, I'm happy to do it."

I finish as I look down at her, just to see her staring up at me. It was one of those moments when you know this is the right moment to do something, or it'll never happen. So I took my chances and kissed her. Her lips felt as soft as they've looked for the longest time. She hesitated into the kiss but soon enough she was kissing me back with the same passion I was.

"Zoe?" A too-familiar voice startled us and we broke our kiss.

"K-Kyle.. I-", Zoe started.

"Don't." He said as he took a step back and stormed off.

"Zoe, what happened?" This time it was Shawn. "Zoe, you picked him?"

"Shawn, I-"

"Zoe , why him? I could buy you everything you could ever want. But you pick him?" Shawn questioned.

I spoke up. "You may be able to buy her everything she wants, but I can give her everything she needs. So yeah, she chose me."

******

Zoe's POV

Matthew was right. He could give me everything I need.

"Shawn, sometimes my life feels like hell," Zoe says. "But Matthew is always there to make it feel like home. When he's around, nothing matters anymore. Also I've just met you like, what, 4 months ago? And the only thing you and I have in common is our sense of humor. I'm sorry I just don't feel the same way towards you. I love you as a brother but I'm not in love with you. I'm really sorry things didn't work out in favor for you, but if you don't mind, I'd like for us to remain friends."

"Yeah, sure I guess." Shawn shrugged. "If I still get some of your affection?" He asks with a cheeky grin.