||Chapter 2||

~|| Chapter 2 ||~

Just like that, my world ceased its movement, the phone dropped from my hand and tears bubbled at the corner of my eyes. I wanted to collapse, to completely cease my existence. My grandfather was dead. Dead.

The more I assessed the situation the further the sound of my friends calls got, her voice blurring and distorting as though she was running away from me. My vision clouded and within mere moments I was on my knees with tear-stained cheeks in the center of the concrete pathway.

No matter how much I wanted time to cease, I could feel the seconds ticking away, each subsequent moment my grandfather is no longer breathing. "He's gone..." My voice echoed around me as though it was taunting me with the fact the only human who truly gave me hope. Was gone.

Within the simple span of 3 heartbeats I was back to my normal self, the tears gone my ebony cheeks slightly stained for my break down. But what got my attention was the sound of the snickering from a small group of girls, one of them whispering a little too loudly. "Looks like the cold bitch finally broke. Karma's a bitch." The voice was high-pitched and entirely annoying in nature.

I stood up calmly, dusted myself off and turned towards the group of gossips, my eyes almost burning in anger and hatred. They caught me at one of the worst times and it appears they would take the wrath of the sleeping beast lying dormant in my chest.

"Excuse me. I had no clue my personal problems involved any of you. So, you wanna gossip and bicker about me, please do it in front of me." My voice held flames behind each word, the anger evident but at the same time my voice was like a blade waiting to lash out.

It was odd, I had never been confrontational, but it felt like something was behind me boosting all the anger into a blazing inferno.

"Uh who said you could talk with us, weirdo?" The leader of the group finally showed herself, it was just like any other story. The blonde bimbo who had dated way to many football players and felt self-entitled to everything including popularity.

I didn't even think to be frank, my anger lashed out in the oddest of ways. My hand was at her throat and I could have sworn my strength had doubled lifting the poor girl up. "Don't speak with me as if you know me. Don't treat me as though you are better. You want some weirdo? You want the stereotypical african american? Please get out of my face with your ignorance." My words held what each girl had been thinking, I was just a little ole black girl to them. Simple.

I felt the tap on my shoulder trying to calm my anger, I dropped the bimbo with ease and turned on my heel, items in hand. "Lexi, let's go NOW." I was probably halfway to the Starbucks, trying to avoid going home to the tearful sobs of my family.

"Um.. Are we not gonna talk about how awesome you are?!" Lexi was embracing my superwoman thing almost amazed to the point of silence, which I wish she had been. "You lifted that bitch up and showed her not to fuck with you girl!" Her squeals actually making me smirk.

"Yeah yeah. It was pretty awesome." The excited screech even making me burst out into a fit of laughter. I had given in any flaming anger gone from existence, however the flame that had been lit was still there I felt it within my very core. Something had changed inside of me and I had no clue what it had been, but I liked it immensely.

I had the fire I had lacked. I had my passion again. I regained the emotions I had buried so long ago.

I had me.

After a few sips of our coffee, I could hear the same whining voice in the background however, behind her was another group of girls. "Great... Lexi it's time to go. The blonde bitch has decided to bring her barbie gang to attack us like a rabid pack of poodles." I stood up with and began my way to the exit. Lexi and her vanilla bean frap in tow.

I looked up at the barista, nodding towards the incoming herd of moronic trash. "I am using the backdoor." With that I had left through the storage area and lastly out of the entire establishment, the alleyway was putrid as usual but I was already gone ignoring the whining sounds of Lexi. "Do you want to deal with the morons?"

Her voice promptly shut up, knowing full well a group of them beyond the size of 5 was easy to handle any bigger you were basically asking to get into an unwinnable catfight. The splashing sounds of our sneakers echoed until we finally breached the veil of smelly darkness, our exit leading us right to the entrance of the subway.

"My house is rather depressing so wanna just split up here and you go home?" I could tell she wanted to some and support me, but I refused to even allow it. I didn't need pity or help, I had managed to handle shit without anyone before I refused to admit any need now.

With that, I turned never really allowing an answer, the sound of my own self-separation shown in my footsteps as I'd vanished into the crowd towards my train.