Chapter four

As the night progressed the dwarves and their leader, along with Gandalf had moved towards the dining hall

As the night progressed the dwarves and their leader, along with Gandalf had moved towards the dining hall. They all sat, much quieter than before as their leader discussed their plans. Yrsa stood, leaning on the edge doorway watching intensely as an old dwarf asked his leader a question.

"What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?"

"Aye. Envoys from all seven kingdoms." Oakenshield replied causing the other dwarves to murmur in excitement to each other causing Yrsa's eyebrows to raise slightly, she questioned whether or not the other dwarves would actually aid Oakenshield but before she could outwardly question and insult them, the bald dwarf spoke up;

"What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills say? Is Dain with us?"

Oakenshield looked down, not meeting the other dwarves' eyes and spoke; "They will not come, They say this quest is ours, and ours alone." The king's answer immediately stirred disappointed murmurs amounts the company of dwarves.

Out of curiosity, the hobbit spoke up, "You're going on a quest?"

An amused snort escaped Yrsa's throat causing all the occupants in the room to give her fierce glares that she returned with a cocky smirk.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light." Said the wise wizard in an attempt to prevent any further tension. Hastily, the Hobbit brought a bright candle to the table while Gandalf pulled an old map out of his pocket. Curiosity now peaked, Yrsa pushed herself off the edge of the doorway in order to gain a better look at the old map.

The wizard began to explain his map, "Far to the East, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak."

"The Lonely Mountain." The hobbit interjected which resulted in a fierce glare from Yrsa until one of the dwarves spoke up;

"Aye. Oin has read the portents, and the portents say it is time."

"Ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain as it was foretold: When the birds of yore return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will end." spoke the dwarf called Oin.

Baggins shuffled uncomfortably at the mere mention of a 'beast' and asked nervously about it. The disgustingly cheerful dwarf with the odd hat had decided to take the liberty to explain to the halfling about the beast in question,

"Well, that would be a reference to Smaug the Terrible, chiefest and greatest calamity of our age. Airborne fire­breather, teeth like razors, claws like meat hooks, extremely fond of precious metals­­."

"Yes, I know what a dragon is." Said the halfling trying to appear brave under the Yrsa's hawk-like glares.

Foolishly, one of the younger dwarves stood up and shouted; "I'm not afraid! I'm up for it. I'll give him a taste of the Dwarfish iron right up his jacksie."

"Sit down!" cried out one of the others as the surrounding dwarves began to shout in excitement.

An older dwarf Yrsa didn't care to learn the name of spoke up against the chatter, his comment making Yrsa's eyebrows raised in amusement. "The task would be difficult enough with an army behind us. But we number just thirteen, and not thirteen of the best, nor brightest."