Prologue

They started when she was only a child. A small fragile rose petal in a heart like shape. Her childlike wonder always questioned why they showed up, a bright fire truck red inscribed with a simple letter.

They were beautiful, but ultimately an annoying presence. Rey didn't know of anyone else with this daily reminder. Others often looked at her weird, asking if she was okay whenever she brought the subject up. What was she supposed to say?

The truth? That all she knew was that she felt a strangely deep connection to them? Yeah, that would make even more sense.

Most days, an inscribed "W" would tarnish the petal. Rey didn't know how on Earth she knew that "W" means well. But she did. The same way she knew "I" was injured, and "S" was sick. They rotated sometimes.

Summers brought W whilst during the darker times it bore a dark "I" one that seared into her mind. Today was different.

Today was a "D". Today, Rey felt a knot deep in her stomach. The situation clawed at her insides. She'd never gotten a "D" before. What was she supposed to do? What did all these petals even mean?

She held it gently in her palm, staring at it for a few seconds before squinting her eyes shut. Maybe if she held them closed long enough it'd turn into a "W" or maybe even an "I." Rey opened her eyes slowly, the daunting curve of a "D" still visible in front of her eyes.

It felt as if reality had betrayed her. It needed to change. It needed to go back to "W". She pinched herself on her forearm roughly. "It's just a dream, just a dream," Rey murmured quietly under her breath.

The letter never changed. The bitter feeling of dread filled her stomach. She closed her hand around the petal tightly, praying. But when her hand opened, the letter was still there, just wrinkled.

"Goddamit!" Rey muttered dropping the petal onto the ground in frustration.

It landed softly, face down, even then she saw the "D" taunting her.

"Tomorrow," she breathed. "Tomorrow will be different. Maybe just an "I", but different."

They next day brought the same cursed letter. The petal was darker. Only by a slight shade, but Rey could tell. She crumpled it in her palm once again out of frustration. What did the "D" even mean? Why did it affect her so much?

A/N: okay so I'm really really really excited to be starting this book <3 it's a collab with the amazing tatooinelove and I'm just really excited for this!

{reylo1 here my friend is the reylo angst AU :)}