Chapter 4

Finn offered to pick Rey up again today. She sat in his car, leaning against the window.

"Did you get another petal today?" Finn posed.

"No. Just another thing to look forward to," Rey laughed wryly.

"Hey, you wanna take the scenic route?"

"What do you mean?" Rey sat up straight with tentative eyes fixed on Finn.

"I'll take the long way through the foothills," he offered.

"You mean those little mountain thingies?"

"Yes," Finn chuckled, "those little mountain thingies."

"Alright. Yeah," Rey nodded. "It'll be relaxing."

"That's the idea."

Finn turned the radio on and switched it to his favorite CD. The second the song started, Rey recognized it.

"Oh my God. I haven't heard The Rebel Alliance in years! Isn't this a little dated for you?"

"I'll admit, I do love newer stuff like The Resistance, but The Rebel Alliance band will always have a special place in my heart."

"Mine, too," Rey smiled. Finn looked over and grinned, too, at the sight of Rey finally relaxed.

The happiness only lasted so long. The second Finn pulled into Rey's driveway, she remembered why she had been so apprehensive to begin with.

"Rey, wait," Finn called. But it was too late. Rey was already running out of the car and scouring the porch for the damned thing. The petal wasn't as red as the others. The edges were soured with a black tinge.

"Dammit!" Rey cursed. She threw the petal down with all of her force, but it only floated gracefully to her feet, adding insult to injury.

"I'm so sorry, Rey." Finn came up behind her and placed a strong hand on her shoulder.

"I will find them. Whoever they are. Wherever they are," Rey declared. "I will find them, and they will live. They have to."

~~~

Rey spent the next day silently mulling over the words Benny had spoken. Ms. Organa was an older woman, but no where near death.

"Maybe...maybe she has a terminal illness. Wouldn't we have noticed?" She muttered to herself.

Benny looked up from his barista station. "What'd you say, kid?"

Rey turned to Benny with a puzzled look. "What?"

"You said something."

"Oh," she sighed. "It was nothing...Are you sure you don't know where Ms. Organa is?"

"No. Why? Do you know something?"

"No, no. Just curious."

"You could call her home phone," Benny piped up. "Or ask the assistant manager, Ms. Kanata."

"Is she in?" Rey asked with anticipation.

"She should be."

"Thanks, BB." Rey said as she strode quickly towards the manager office.

"I thought we decided against that nickname," Benny called out as she left.

Rey rushed into the office, forgetting to knock. Ms. Kanata looked up through thick rimmed glasses, paperwork scattered across her desk.

"Rey? Is everything okay?" The old woman inquired.

"Do you know where Ms. Organa is?"

"She's been out for a while," Ms. Kanata replied.

"Do you know why?" Rey asked with growing anxiety.

Ms. Kanata took off her glasses and focused her full attention on Rey. "I'm not quite sure of the details, but she mentioned it was a family emergency."

Rey's heart dropped. "A family emergency?"

"Yes. She's married and has a son. About your age, I believe. I'm sorry, Rey, but that's all I know right now."

"A son," Rey murmured. "A son my age."