Chapter 1 - Aaden

I closed the door to the blacksmiths and turned the giant iron key in the lock. Whistling to myself, I strolled down the unpaved streets, taking care not to slip on the ice, and waved at various people shutting up their own shops. I didn't own the blacksmiths but I closed it up most days as I worked late into the evenings.

It was beginning to get dark already, that was the problem with winter, and no one wanted to be out after dark - even in a small village like this one. I was still a fair distance from my house so I decided to take a shortcut.

Abruptly, I turned into an alleyway, and almost immediately I bumped into a tall man, dressed in black from head to toe. He wore a top hat at least a foot tall. He must have been someone important - perhaps even a messenger from the King. I muttered an apology and continued walking past. His hand reached out and grabbed my arm. I stopped and turned around. I saw on his lapel the crest of Kingshelm - the center district of the kingdom. He was important then - only the men closest to the King got to live there. He whispered something to himself and looked at me intently as though he was trying to remember something. "Will you be attending the court tomorrow?" he asked brusquely. I nodded and bowed my head,"I heard there were important matters to be discussed." He nodded as if pleased with my answer and then let go of my arm and walked away without another word. I shook my head and continued on my way, not stopping for another moment until I reached the front door of my house.

As I got closer I realized that I could see light coming through the key hole. I frowned, not remembering leaving any candles burning when I left this morning. Suddenly I heard a deep laughter from within and understood what was going on. My brother had decided to visit. I wondered who was accompanying him this time. I pushed open the door, knowing that it would be unlocked. My brother never remembered such 'trivial' things.

Stepping inside, I let the warmth deep into my bones, relishing in the only good thing my brother ever brought to my house - a warm house when I got home from work. I called out my greetings and took off my boots and jacket, knowing I would get too hot if I kept it on even though it was December. I walked into the small kitchen and was somewhat surprised to see Rosella sitting at the table beside him. Similarly to my brother, Rosella had no wish to be tied down in any way, particularly in relationships which is why the men of the village both loved and hated her. However, she had been my friend for years and had stuck by me through my lowest moments so I didn't mind her intruding my home. Cheerily she waved at me and pulled out the chair next to her, inviting me to sit down. I did so and turned my attentions to my brother. As I looked at the pair of them they did make a charming couple, Rosella's unruly raven hair and olive skin, and Jonah's deep brown mop of hair and tanned muscles from the hard labor on the farm. Jonah's hand in front of my face brought me back to the present and I began to nod along to his incessant ramblings. Suddenly a word caught my attention. "Wait," I said, stopping Jonah in his tracks, he looked surprised as though he hadn't been expecting me to listen to a word of what he had just said. " Did you just say another missed payment by the shepherds in the west?" He nodded "As I was saying, apparently the court tomorrow is going to send someone to investigate." I nodded absentmindedly. That must be why the man from Kingshelm was here, to initiate the investigation.

We talked for another hour or two and then Jonah and Rosella retired to their own homes, just down the road from mine. I put out all the candles and fell asleep, my mind still worrying about the unusualness of the shepherd situation.