Chapter 14 - Isabel

I peered anxiously out the window, buzzing with nerves as I watched the party weave their way through the streets. "Please! Your majesty stay still!" An exasperated voice floated up from below the hem of my skirt. I apologised and tried to stay as still as possible. "Finished!" My dressmaker almost yelled the words she was so happy to finally be finished with my dress. I thanked her profusely knowing full well that I was not the easiest to make a dress for. After accepting the much increased payment, she helped me slip the dress off and scurried away. I sighed as I put on a different dress and allowed my maid to tie my hair up in a plait. I turned to the mirror and practiced my 'not at all nervous' face. Satisfied, I turned again to the window but by now the party had come to close to the castle to be in sight of my window. My hands shaking, I say and waited for the soldier to come with the announcement. Surely enough, barely five minutes had gone by before someone knocked at the door. As I stood to answer it, I felt my stomach turn. I wanted to throw up and run away but I couldn't. Plastering a fake smile on my face, I opened the door and followed the soldier to the grande staircase. He opened the doors before me and stepped out, closing them behind himself. I peered forwards trying to get a glimpse of them but I the soldier closed the door too quickly for me. Taking a deep breath, I braced myself for what was to come. The doors opened and I stepped out into the bright entrance hall. My eyes gravitated to the centre of the room where he stood. He looked different to how he had 7 years ago. His hair was almost black it was so dark and it was cut shorter than he used to have it. My eyes landed on his face and for a second I was lost in his bright blue eyes and then I collected my self. I scanned my eyes over the rest of the group and was almost happy to see Jonah standing there, a look of shock marring his strong features. We had been good friends once and a part of me hoped we could be again, at least for the next few days. There were about 7 men I didn't recognise, 4 who looked as though they were criminals and 3 others who stared at me meekly, intimidated. They must be academics. Finally my eyes landed on the inquisitor himself. The way he was smirking annoyed me. I shot a sarcastically large smile in his direction before beginning to speak. "Welcome to Morgeddon gentlemen. You all must be tired after your journey so I shall have my men show you to your rooms." With a quick nod to the soldiers flanking the side of the room, they were quickly escorted from the room, towards the west wing of the castle. As they walked out, I saw him turn around and as I caught his eye, my heart skipped a beat. Turning away quickly, I beckoned Austin over and tried to distract myself as we discussed the plans for tomorrow.