Chapter 12 - Isabel

The letter arrived at dawn yesterday. Austin had apprehended the group and confirmed my suspicions. The inquisitor was exactly who I thought he was. But something in the letter surprised me. And it was that something that was the reason why I was standing in the tailors getting a golden dress made. I didn't often get new dresses made and especially not such extravagant ones but I had something to prove and this was the best way to do so. "Please, your majesty, do stop fidgeting. It is awfully difficult to pin the fabric when you are moving so much." Slightly embarrassed, I apologised. I hadn't even realised I was as nervous as I seemed to be.

By the time the fitting was over, I was exhausted. I hadn't realised that getting a dress made could be so tiring. I suppose it was the standing upright for long hours at a time. As soon as I got to the castle, I stumbled to my chambers and fell into a deep sleep.

I rubbed my stomach gently, loving placing my hand over the bump that was growing slowly. I could barely contain my excitement at the idea of having a second child. My husband was still in the meadow with our son, tending to the sheep. He was teaching him the ways of our people. Suddenly, before I could move or scream, a rough hand grabbed me and slung me against the wall. I looked at the aggressor but his face was hidden by a large black cloak. He pulled out a sharp object, like a dagger. Horrified, I started to struggle. Immediately the knife was against my throat. Two other men in black cloaks emerged from behind him and each shoved a sharp object into the palm of my hands. I cried out in pain and fear for my child. Another dagger was pushed into each foot. By now the tears were streaming down my face. "Please," I whispered "I'm pregnant." But I got no pity. I prepared myself for the end and-

A knock on the door awoke me, sweating and breathing as though I had just run the mountain pass. I couldn't help a tear running down my face as I thought of the life taken last night. A voice called through the door. "Your majesty, a shepherd's boy is here. He says his mother was attacked in the night." I almost laughed out loud. His mother was attacked but perhaps not killed! Her death interrupted just like my dream. I jumped out of bed and threw in a dress.

I was downstairs in seconds. The boy was sitting at the conference table as the baker had done last time. It seemed wrong that he was to sit there. "Come with me." I said gently. I led him to the library where there were more comfortable seats. He jumped onto a plush armchair and then turned to me, his face serious. He couldn't be older than 7. "My mother was attacked by some men in cloaks." He said, struggling to remember the words that he had been told to repeat. "She was stabbed here, here, here and here" he said pointing at his hands and feet as he spoke. "Is she alright now?" I asked. He nodded and then shook his head. "She had a baby in her tummy. Father says she needs a doctor." I nodded. " I will send a doctor back with you if you can show him where you live." He nodded,"It's not far, I ran all the way here on my own." He said, a touch of pride in his voice. "Excellent" I called a soldier in. "Would you take this boy to the doctor and then escort them to his home. If the shepherd permits it, I would like you to guard the house for the next few weeks." He nodded and escorted the little boy out. Another soldier entered the room," Your majesty, the tailor says she needs some more measurements." Sighing, I nod and go off for some more torture.