Chapter 13 - Aaden

We walked all day across the flat lands that made up Morgeddon. There were few landmarks or points of interest and after a while, the endless expanse of land became as boring as the drudgery of the walk. Just before it became fully dark, we stopped to eat. Austin still didn't take off his helmet and instead went into a small tent to eat. We ate with the rest of the soldiers and chatted casually as though they had forgotten we were as good as prisoners. When Austin emerged from the tent, however, the chatter stopped and we all looked at him. "We will arrive at the castle just before nightfall tomorrow. The queen will talk with you," he looked pointedly at the inquisitor, "in the morning and she is holding a ball that evening." His mouth turned down slightly at the idea of a ball and that was just another similarity with Austin who had always hated balls. He had had a strictly no-dancing policy when it came to social events.

Soon it became too dark to see anything so we all decided to sleep. In order to make it in time tomorrow, we had to walk quickly so sleep was much needed. I lay down and closed my eyes but I couldn't sleep. I opened my eyes and stared up at the stars, trying to clear my mind from the thoughts that haunted it. If this man was Austin, then could she be at the castle as well? The thought scared me. After years of thinking her dead, the idea that she could be alive and living a few kingdoms over plagued me. What if she didn't recognise me? "Stop" I muttered to myself, I was getting ahead of myself. She may not even be alive, I shouldn't get my hopes up. And anyway, if she didn't recognise me that could be a blessing. She wouldn't hate me then. Slowly my eyes drifted shut, my mind still whirring.

I woke up late the next morning. The others were already up and eating breakfast. I slowly got up and joined them. We talked little and ate quickly, all anxious to get to the castle as soon as possible.

It took a further 4 hours of riding before we saw the first sign of civilisation. Small shepherd huts were spread sparsely across the grasses, women and children doing various chores outside. As they saw us they bowed and gawped. Many of them would have never seen someone from a country of such importance as ours and even though we were from a small village, we still outranked them massively.

As the sun dipped down below the orange tinted mountains that surrounded the grasslands, we approached the castle. It was more than I expected in every way. It's large stone walls stood staring threateningly down at us as we rode closer. Thousands of tiny holes housed bows ready to be fired and guards patrolled the battalions. It looked as though they were prepared for a battle not an inquisition. That made sense though as people said that the queen was unstable and ruthless, killing anyone who disagreed with her. Perhaps she was expecting a rebellion. Others said however, that the neighbouring kings spread tales as they were jealous a queen could rule so well. Either way, I was no longer looking forwards to meeting her.

We entered the town and had to dismount as the cobbled roads were so small. The houses all had their shutters down as darkness fell and all the shops were fully closed up. I scanned the streets, a part of me hoping to spot her. The chief guard caught me and a smirk graced his normally stony features, as though he had guessed what I was doing. I turned my head away and focused on the road in front of me.

Soon we came across the Main Street that led up to the castle. It was much wider than the backstreets we had previously been on and people still bustled around some buildings, most likely public houses. As we continued walking, I noticed the inquisitor looking more and more excited, as though he was looking forward to the investigation.