CHAPTER 30

Cecilia:

I awoke early the next morning to find myself snuggled into Rory's side, my hair a wild tangle as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, how romantic, I thought sarcastically. I shifted my body slightly and felt his arm tighten around my waist, God, not this again.

I swivelled in his vice like grip so that I could at least admire him whilst he slept on. My eyes took in every inch of his chiselled face, his fair hair falling slightly into his face, his lips slightly parted, his breaths slow and even. I committed every line and angle to my memory as my eyes recorded his handsome features carefully.

"Who's staring now?" Rory opened one eye and grinned cheekily up at me as my face turned scarlet. "Morning beautiful," he chuckled before placing a lingering kiss on my lips, the familiar buzz of excitement rushing through my veins.

"Morning," I sleepily replied before placing my head in the crook of his shoulder.

"Damn it," I heard Rory mutter under his breath, I lifted my head from his shoulder to look at him curiously.

"What is it?" I questioned.

"What is the date today?" he asked in response.

"I believe it is the thirtieth of December," I replied throwing him a quizzical look.

"Five days late, damn it," he said seemingly more to himself than me.

"What is five days late?" I pressed, what on Earth was he going on about?

"Oh well, I guess it will have to be a belated gift," he continued as if not hearing my question. I watched as he fished around blindly in the draw of his bedside table for a minute before drawing out a small object wrapped in tissue paper. I cocked an eyebrow at the package in his hands, what was it?

"I found this in the village," He started, "A tinker sold it to me actually, I believe it is time it was returned to its rightful owner." He placed the little parcel in my hands, "Merry belated Christmas."

"It's for me?" I asked shocked.

"That is what I said is it not?" he laughed.

"I've never had a christmas present before," I murmured bewilderedly.

"I've never given one before," Rory chuckled. "Well come on then," he urged excitedly, "Open it." He rolled his eyes at me as I made no move to open it.

"You simply, open the paper," He said patronisingly as he mimed opening the package.

"I know how to open it," I snapped at him giving him one of my finest glares as he held his hands up in surrender.

I pulled the tissue gently away from the object and held up the locket nestled within the paper. I felt tears spring to my eyes as I stared at the object I had not seen in ten years. "My mother's locket," I choked out, feeling the emotion swelling in my bosom.

I opened the locket and there was the likeness of my mother painted within it, smiling happily out at me as if she had not a care in the world. 

"Oh Rory," I lifted my head to look at him, "Thank you, thank you, thank you." I smiled up at him, throwing my arms around his neck as he brushed the tears that had escaped from my cheeks.

"You're most welcome my darling" He laughed into my hair as he wound his arms around my waist. 

"I must admit though, I did not know it was your mother's necklace, only that I had seen you wear it when we were young. It is quite an unusual design though so I recognised it when I saw it. May I see the portrait inside?" He queried.