The Present

Caitlin way in her house looking at old memories of her and Barry. God, she missed him so much and if it wasn't for the hope that his sentence wasn't for life, that someday he'll get out and they'll be together again, she'd probably of ended her life. She couldn't live without him, and didn't want to. She started to cry again, it had been five years. Five years they'd only seen each other through glass, and two since they'd seen each other at all. Two years ago Barry had been transferred out of Central City and to National City, which was a couple hundred miles away so she couldn't even see him anymore. The universe just wanted to make her life worse. Now she was twenty-four and so many of her friends (not that she has many) are in relationships. I would be her twenty-fifth birthday in two weeks. Another one that she couldn't spend with the one person she wanted to spend it with. Iris was getting married to her boyfriend Eddy, Felicity was in some kind of relationship with Oliver Queen and even Cisco had found a girl. That should be Caitlin getting married but instead, she bitterly waits for her life to return to her. 

She kept telling herself: "Five out of fifty to go, five out of fifty to go". But that made her even sadder, that there was still forty-five left to wait. Forty-five years to wait so she can get married. She may never have children but Barry was more important to her than that. She couldn't see herself with anyone else and it made her feel physically sick to think about being with someone else. There was no one else. No one that made her feel the way, Barry did, no one could. he was the only man in the world for her. He was perfect. They were perfect. Soulmates, companions, true loves. What wouldn't she do to have that again? Or even see him again?

She had been working at STAR labs ever since she got her doctorate in bio-engineering but she still felt incomplete. She had everything she ever wanted except the one thing she needed and wanted. She would give it all up to see him again. In a heartbeat, just so she could kiss him again, or hold him again, have some level of intimacy again.

 She'd lost almost all connection with her friends. Although they still stayed in contact with her. She worked with Cisco so she saw him almost every day. Iris, she saw a little of now and again. She wanted her to be a bridesmaid at her wedding but knew it would make her uncomfortable. Out of everyone, Iris seemed to understand the most. She always said that if it was Eddy then she wouldn't be able to function. Sometimes she turns up at Caitlin's front door with chocolate and a movie. Or just the chocolate and let her cry. Iris was Caitlin's go-to friend for when she just needed to cry.

Caitlin tended to be emotionless, distant and cold at work. She tried to stay professional even though she was dying inside. She led a team after all. But when they weren't looking she'd sneak off to find Cisco and they'd talk and reminisce about old times. When everything was simpler. When they were teenagers who faced the world head on fearless and confident. 

These last few years had been the worst of Caitlin's life. The best year of her life being her senior year when she was dating Barry. Technically she still was dating Barry. It didn't feel like it. 

Knock! Knock!

Still crying Caitlin wandered to the door and opened it. A familiar face was standing on her doorstep. Caitlin couldn't breathe and slipped out of concioussness.