Chapter 34

CHAPTER 34

JOYCE POV

This can’t be happening…It couldn’t be…He’s a thousand miles away from me. But I’ve only spoken that promise to only one person…Kris. I was afraid to look…I was afraid to hope…Make a wish Joyce…I turned around…

Joyce: Kris…

Kris: You promised. No goodbyes between us.

This time, hindi ko na napigilan sarili ko. I ran up to him and hugged him so tight. I never wanted to let go.

KRIS POV

I couldn’t believe that I was holding her in my arms once more. It’s been three years. Three long years! I never wanted to let go.  

Kris: I missed you Joyce. I missed you so much.

She was crying bittersweet tears.

Joyce: Akala ko hindi ka na babalik. Umalis ka na lang bigla. You never even said goodbye.

Kris: Don’t cry Joyce. I will explain why I did what I had to do.

She tried to stop crying. I continued to hold her in my arms. I don’t think I'll ever have the strength to let her go again.

Kris: I left because of you. I did it for you. Kasi alam ko na mahihirapan ka to do what you have to do for your family if I stay here. You’ll always be torn between me and them. So I left. But it didn’t mean that I said goodbye. I would never say goodbye to you. I waited just like you asked me to.

Joyce: It’s been three years.

Kris: I know. And I would have waited longer than that if you asked me to. I made that sacrifice because I love you.

Joyce: No communication for 3 years. I don't even know kung ano na nangyayari sa iyo, sa atin.

Kris: Because it would be much easier for us both. If we stayed in touch, I don't think kakayanin ko na lumayo sa yo ng matagal. Mami-miss lang kita. Uuwi lang ako dito sa Pilipinas. HIndi natin pareho magagawa ang mga bagay na dapat natin gawin. 

Joyce: I love you so much. You don’t know how hard it was for me. I’ve never stopped thinking about you and loving you all these time.

Kris: Ako din. The whole time I was away, not one moment passed that I didn’t think about you. I love you Joyce.

So we stayed like that for a long time. Not one of us wanting to let go of the other.

JOYCE POV

It feels like heaven to be with him again. I don’t think I’ll get any happier than this moment . We talked about his life in New York.

Kris: I finished my course there. Graduate na ko. I also did that for our future together.

Joyce: Talaga?

Kris: Yes. Sabi ko sa iyo diba, lahat ng ginawa ko dun was for you.

Joyce: We missed out on a lot of things…prom, Christmas, holidays, birthdays, our anniversary.

Kris: Oo nga eh. But those things seem trivial now that we are together again...Have you been taking care of yourself while I was away? Sabi ni Rick, pumayat ka daw, hindi ka masyado lumalabas, tapos kapag kasama mo naman sila, iyak ka lang ng iyak.

I just gave him a little smile.

Kris: Don't worry. I'm here now. I'll take care of you...

Joyce: ...We missed out on our trip together to Chicago. Di pa tuloy kita naipakilala sa parents ko.

Kris: I've met them already.

Joyce: Ha? When?

Kris: After summer, I went to Chicago. Hinanap ko talaga sila. Nagpakilala ako. I told them I'm your boyfriend. Actually sabi ko nga na ako ang future son-in-law nila. Haha! Siymepre nagulat sila. But I explained everything. Your situation here. Our situation. Lahat lahat.

Joyce: Ano sabi nina Daddy?

Kris: They perfectly understood everything. That's also one of the reasons kung bakit alam ko na tama ang decision ko to stay there. I have the full support of your parents.

Joyce: Talaga?

Kris: Yup. Mahal na nga ako ng parents mo eh. Haha! I visit them 3-4x a year and I stay there in your house dun. They treat me like i'm their son. Lagi sila nagku-kwento about you kaya kahit malayo ako sa iyo, feeling ko you're always close to me. 

Joyce: So boto sa iyo ang parents ko? Ganun?

Kris: Oo naman. Botong-boto! Haha. Tapos, nag-meet na din pala sila ng parents ko. Siyempre magkasundong-magkasundo sila. Ikaw na lang ang kulang!

It feels so good to laugh and smile again.

Joyce: Thank you Kris. Thank you for doing this. For me, for my parents...I still can’t believe you’re here.

Kris: Believe it Joyce. I’ll never leave you again. Promise ko yan sa iyo. I love you.

Joyce : I love you Kris. I love you so much.

Then he kissed me. The sweetest and the most perfect of kisses. The kind of kiss that can erase all the bad memories of yesterday, and full of the promise of love for the future.