Chapter 14

Irina's PoV

I guess calmly sitting down by a sleeping dragon just watching the night go by. I kept thinking about my last night. I knew Veren was still tired, but I also knew that he was never going to just say he was tired like that.

The night was beautiful. The wind was cool and It felt so nice to hear the dragon beside me breath. As weird as it sounds, it was a very calming noise. I smiled to myself. Unlike the dragon, I was not tired. I had plenty of sleep.

I put my head back to rest, but the dragon shifted uncomfortably by me. I looked at it and realized he was tossing and turning which means he was probably having a nightmare.

I shook him, but he was not going to wake up with that. He opened his eyes and revealing heavy bags under his eyes.

"Are you okay?" I asked him while sitting closer to him. He just nodded in response. I looked closer at him to see if he was lying. I knew he was, but I couldn't help but notice the blazing electric blue eyes he had.

"You want to know something?" I said as I looked at him with a smile.

"I don't know what would happen if we were friends." I said hoping to not embarrass myself.

He just kept his head down and looked at the sky.

"Are you going to go back to sleep?" I asked. He simply shook his head.

Well, I need to do a few things, but I was not going to tell him.

"Okay well, good night." I said as I got up with a yawn and walked in the direction of my chambers until I was out of sight.

I looked back making sure he was not following me. I crept to Veren's room expecting to see him there, but when I didn't I realized he must still be up.

I have to hurry.

I opened the door that led to Kylate. I looked really close at the Kylate in front of me. I grabbed a glove and picked up some of the Kylate that what there. I was taking a huge risk, but I had to know for sure.

I pulled a small leaf and put it in my mouth. I was greeted with a sweet sugary taste. It tasted a lot like pure sugar cane, but then a sharp burning taste filled it. My mouth started to hurt like fire. I ran to the bathroom and drank some water, but it only made it worse. I looked at my mouth and was horrified.

Right there I saw my mouth being burned like acid was eating something away.

"IRINA!!!" I heard a shout.

I turned around and saw Veren run towards me. He started to pull so many things out of a locked up cupboard. I just stood there as he grabbed my arm and gave me a cup full of....something.

"Drink this, NOW!" He said. I drank it and then the burning went down.

"What were you thinking?" He said a little calmly.

"I needed to know." I replied.

"Know what?" He asked again.

"I received a letter telling me to eat part of the Kylate if I wanted to know why you had it." I replied. He sighed as he looked at me with something in his eye that I couldn't quite tell what it was.

"You could have died!" he said a little fiercer now.

Veren's PoV

When I saw Irina eat that Kylate, my heart stopped. I was so horrified. Irina was going to die in a few minutes. So without thinking I quickly got the remedy ready, but when she told me why, I realized what she was talking about.