Chapter 17

Veren

I haven't spoken to Irina for about three weeks. Things were extremely busy. The king was back to working and it was as stressful as ever, for both of us. I never had time to verify the servants. The elite stop working because they had to train. 

The palace was ready for the battle, but we needed to get the other cities prepared.

"Revlon, did you get any sleep?" I asked as I stepped through his door.

"Sleep, what is that?" He said as he kept his back turned towards me.

"Come on you need sleep too." I answered.

"I am fine." He said. His head was resting in his palm. There was an awkward long silence. 

"Veren, I am about 29 years old. I need to think about...taking a wife." 

"OH!!" I exclaimed. I didn't think it was a bad thing, just unexpected.

"I will be getting to a point where no one would want marry an old man like me." He said again.

"You don't look 29." I said.

"Yeah, I know."

There was another long pause.

"I am thinking about asking Kyra if she wants to be my queen." He said nervously.

"Revlon....do you like her?" I asked with wide eyes. I didn't see any emotion behind him, but whatever.

"I want you to....be a matchmaker." 

"You're kidding right." I said in disbelief.

"No I'm not." He answered.

"You know our past. She hates me Revlon." 

"She should have gotten over it."

"Um I wouldn't even get over it. I can't do it."

"As a friend will you do it?" He asked. I could tell he was serious. I thought about it for awhile.

"Fine." 

"Thank you, I have to work now." He said.

"Revlon, would you consider someone else?" I asked.

"Is something wrong with Kyra?" He asked

"No." 

Yes I thought.

"Let me tell you the only reason I would go for Kyra. She is moving up in the palace and I also noticed she has very good leadership qualities." 

"So you don't want her?" I questioned.

"No. I need to think about what is best for the kingdom not me." He answered with his eyes furrowed.

"But if you could choose someone of your personal choice, who would that be?" I asked. I wanted him to be happy and I knew without a doubt he would be miserable with Kyra. 
Sure she is gorgeous and have a few leadership qualities, but she is selfish and has attempted suicide multiple times.

She gets help, but she starts doing down in a spiral. I also think she is insane somehow. When we were little, she was a sweet heart, but as the years went by she grew more... I don't know what to call it.

"I would probably choose Livia." He said with a look that said. I like her a lot.

"Why Livia?" 

"She is pretty much my age, single, pretty, sweet, and funny. There are a few times where she is being a 5 year old, but I know she has a great personality. But there is one thing missing from her, leadership qualities. She is going to need that to lead a kingdom." He said with a sad expression.