Chapter 36

Arista's POV

I stayed in my dragon form as Loki and I left the maze. I had made myself grow even more so as to stand as tall as Loki but as a result, it made my wider than the maze would allow. It was a tight squeeze holding my wings above my head and Loki had to walk in front of me.

"Just shrink."

"But then I'll be shorter than you!"

"You will be infinitely more comfortable and won't be spotted by anyone who looks out of a palace window in this direction."

"Fine." I sighed as I shrunk down to halfway up his chest.

"There, that's better isn't it?" Loki scratched the top of my head, sparking a series of contented rumbles from my throat.

"Have I found a soft spot, dove?" I didn't answer, I was too engrossed in the sensation of his soft fingertips against my rough, dry scales.

Before I knew it, we had passed through the 'public' part of the gardens and were back in the golden halls of the palace. My sharp, lethal claws clicked loudly on the polished floor, echoing in the empty space. During our walk, Loki's hand had strayed from the top of my head, to my neck, to the webbed parts of my wings.

"I think you should change back before Thor sees you."

"Why?"

"Because he is coming this way."

"Loki, Thor is no threat. He knows next to nothing about me. It's fine."

"Very well." As soon as he spoke, Thor came around the corner.

"Loki! Where did you encounter this creature?"

"What do you want, Thor?"

"I bring news from Heimdall. The destruction of the Vanaheim villages has accelerated. The pattern that Lady Arista laid out is nearly complete. We know not what will occur when that happens. We must find father and convene a war council. But first, I thank you for your true gift." He came towards me.
"This isn't your gift, Thor. She's Arista."

"Oh, forgive me, my lady, I have never seen you Shift. Now we must find my father immediately."
We found Odin and Frigga deep in conversation in their room. I had heard them murmuring from within before Thor banged his fist on the door but even with my increased dragon hearing, I could make out no clear words.

"Enter." Odin glared at me when he saw my dragon form but said nothing.

"Father."

"What is it?"

"News from Heimdall. We need to convene a war council at once."

"I give orders."

"The destruction rate has tripled. Less than twenty villages remain. We must act now." Odin's face grew solemn.

"Gather the Warriors Three and the Lady Sif. Meet me in the council chamber within the hour." We all turned to rush off, "But I want Arista and Loki to stay." The two of us looked at each other.

"Shift back. Now." I growled at him but complied. Once I was back to my normal form, I had to instantly lean on Loki for support.

"Dove?"

"Just let me...let me rest on you for a minute. I need to rest."

"Are you alright?"

"I am fine but I am drained. The form of a dragon is by far the hardest to harness, aside from water-breathing animals."

"Why are those harder?"