1

Chapter 1

The Chicago Cubs. The only team famous for sucking. The lovable losers. Over 100 years without a championship and I, Brett Sandberg, want to change that. I want to be the person everyone puts their faith in. I want to be their future. I want people to look back on the organization and think, "I remember when they were bad". I want to create an image that makes not only the city of Chicago can be proud of, but an image that creates so much pride, hope and faith, it drowns out all of fears and worries. Look at the BlackHawks. They just broke a 49 year long drought. Hell, the Bears haven't won since '85 yet everyone in Chicago knows every step and every word to the Bear's Super-bowl Shuffle. The Monster's of Midway still rule the city. The bulls have enough street cred to last a lifetime. Even the White Sox won in '05. It's time for people to stop seeing the Cub's as the bad news bears, and start fearing them. We need to stop saying that there will be a next year and start saying that this year, will be our year. 

I will never stop fighting or believing. Not while I'm trying to complete a man's job. Ever since I was little, I never fully understood where the divider between a man and a women's job. My father was a baseball player in the MLB before I was born and his career trickled into the early years of my life before becoming a manager for the Phillies. It wasn't until recently, that I discovered the muddy line painted directly in front of me. It was so clear yet so messy all at the same time. Me, I'm the first female General Manager in baseball. And I'm proud to say it's for the Chicago Cubs. 

Yesterday, I was questioning my existence and God's plan for me. And now, I find myself sitting 1st class on a plane headed to Chicago from LA with not a fear in the world of the horrible possibilities that might occur. I looked at the window and watched as my world changed right beneath my feet.