Chapter Three

"You don't remember anything?"

I nod at Nero, shifting in my seat. I had told him about my amnesia (that's what I'd call it for the meantime), and to my surprise he didn't react violently. Instead, he seemed rather calm.

Now the two of us are sitting by the side of the fountain, the diary clasped tightly in Nero's hands. I see no look of familiarity in his eyes, nor is he that familiar to me. I doubt he is a stranger, though; there's a nagging feeling at the back of my head that I've seen him somewhere.

"Nothing at all," I tell him, and he sighs. A few moments later I add, "Why? Can you read the diary?"

Nero nods, grinning sheepishly. "Yeah. Sort of. A friend and I liked Latin, even if it was an unusual language. My friend even went to the extent of using Latin to write her own diary...but she called it a journal."

I laugh at this. "I see," I say, looking at the diary. "But how did you know her diary was written in Latin?"

I got him.

A rosy blush rushes to Nero's face as his grin grows wider. "W-well, I took a peek a couple of times..." seeing the mischevious glint in my eyes, he quickly adds, "And I regretted it! If she had cards in her hand, then the 'time-of-the-month' one would always be thrown at me!"

I laugh again. Seems like there's more to this boy than I thought.

"Anyway!" he says in an obvious attempt to change the subject. "I can read the diary for you, but not here."

What? "Why?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

Nero shakes his head. "I...I don't feel comfortable doing it here. How about we go to my house? Besides, there's too many people here, and it's too loud."

He did have a point; it was hard for me to hear him, what with all the chatter and yells and laughter around us. Besides, I didn't have any place to stay, and if Nero was nice enough, he'd probably let me stay in his house.

I hope.

...

Nero's home is simple, with two floors and white walls. The living room has two couches facing a small coffee table, and a flat screen TV sitting in front of the table. A desk is behind the table, separating the living room from the dining table with four chairs. At the far end of the house is a row of shelves and a stove in the corner. In front of the stove is a refrigerator.

I walk inside the house. To my right is the living room, and to nearest to my left is another door. I look into the room; apparently it's lined with goods and other things that make it look like a mini grocery.

"What's all this?" I ask Nero.

"Nothing much," Nero replies, shrugging. "A friend and I run a small store. That's it."

"A friend?" I repeat, raising my eyebrows. "The one whose diary was written in Latin?"

Tsuki shook his head. "No. Not that friend. This one's living with me. She's not here yet, though." he gestures toward the couches. "Here. Have a seat...um..." he trails off. "...um...Dalia."

I raise my eyebrows again as I take a seat. "Dalia?"

Nero scratches the back of his neck, grinning as he sits beside me. "Dalia," he repeats, turning his sea-green gaze at me. "You can't remember your name, right? Then I've made one up for you in the meantime. Dalia."

I chuckle. The name has a sweet ring to it, almost like it was really mine. "Really?" I joke. "What about my surname?"

"Um..." Nero looks up at the ceiling. "...I can't think of any yet."

I laugh. "Then I'll wait. I'll wait." after a while I add, "And the diary?"

Nero claps his hands and then puts them on the diary. "Yes, I know," he says, smiling. "From what entry do you want me to read from?"

I think to myself. "The first is the most helpful, right?" I ask. "At least...most of the time."

Nero chuckles and flips the diary's yellowed pages. "All right, then," he begins, his smile growing wider. "Shall we begin?"

~

A/N: I'm sorry for the one-day late update! Ah well, at least things are starting to pick up now, neh? We'll finally know what the diary has to say! At least, maybe a few comments here and there? *hint hint* *nudge nudge*

By the way, my cover change senses are tingling...

Anyway! Here y'all go~

...I have a feeling this is one looong story. I mean, I have to introduce around 22 characters, including Dalia...

Speaking of which, what do you think of Nero? Is he some friendly stranger, or is there more to him than he lets on?

Let me know in the comments! Bye for now! :))

((PS: Frozen and Catching Fire are AWESOME.))