Chapter 7

"What did you take?" Michael demanded as he lifted her up to her feet. She felt like a ragdoll. It was clear Elizabeth was unconscious. He growled in annoyance as he picked her up in his arms. He could see police cars in the entrance. Clearly, the party was over and the students were being handed back to the school. Through an open window in his dorm, he pushed Elizabeth inside before going in, shutting it close to keep the cold air out.

His spare bedroom had no decorations or furniture besides a bed. Elizabeth had made herself comfortable on it, resting her head on the crook of her elbow. "Elizabeth, wake up." She didn't respond. He crossed his arms as he looked at her. "You cannot spend the fucking night here, go to your own dorm." She continued to sleep. The bleeding on her nose had stopped, but it still stained her pale skin and the front of her shirt. Gritting his teeth, he draped a blanket over her body before turning off the light and leaving her alone.

The rest of Michael's dorm was neat. He rarely ate, so there was much use for the refrigerator, and he only used the couch if he wanted to sleep there instead of is room. The place was nearly exactly how it was when he first came to Monroeville. His knuckles were covered in ugly bruises. The blood on his hands had dried on his way back. He slowly closed them into fists, watching as new blood seeped through his open skin.

He didn't know why he decided to follow Elizabeth after he saw her leave the building. He didn't know why he stuck to the shadows as he entered the party. The smell of sweat tinged the crisp air. He could count out the people from school, although most didn't pay attention to him. Michael hated being near drugs. He watched her on the dancefloor, taking drinks from people's cups without hesitation. It disgusted him to see her like that.

He was ready to leave the party when he noticed Elizabeth's mood had changed when she was with Ronnie. It was as if he didn't control his body anymore, Michael followed her outside. He watched as Ronnie tried to get his way with her. He was so furious with the thought of what could have happened, he hated seeing Ronnie over her like that. Elizabeth was anything but vulnerable, but he was sure Ronnie had drugged her to make her weak. It only made Michael angrier.

He was mad at himself. He tried hard not to think of Elizabeth during her first weeks here. He even purposely got himself in trouble so he wouldn't encounter her. But it was clear Elizabeth wasn't going away. He couldn't shake away the uneasy feeling he got when they were together. His hatred for her increased with each passing day. It was midnight when someone knocked on his door. He sighed, knowing there would be an administrator to make sure he was in his dorm. He opened the door in annoyance.

"I knew you were here," Ms. Wilson began, "but you wouldn't happen to know why your roommate isn't in her dorm, would you?" He rolled his eyes. "She's not opening her door and I don't have time to go back for the key." He sighed, crossing his arms.

"I saw her go to her dorm at seven. Her friend Jackie was there with her. Elizabeth looked sick. Moments after, I heard Jackie leave. I assume she is still in her dorm, sleeping her illness away." Wilson narrowed her eyes at him before leaving him be. Rolling his eyes, Michael retreated to his bedroom.

Through the thin walls, he could hear Elizabeth's uneasy sleeping. She was muttering under her breath, thrashing around her borrowed bed. The sheets were soaked with her sweat as she dreamt of unfathomable memories. Michael never got much sleep anyway, so all he could listen to was the sound of her restless sleeping. It was around seven in the morning when he heard his shower run.

Was she seriously taking a shower? As if nothing happened? Michael kicked his wardrobe angrily. Who does she think she is? It was his own fault, he knew it. He shouldn't have followed her last night. He should have ignored her like always. Something fell from the wardrobe. Depleted, he picked up the picture frame. The glass had a slight crack from the impact, but the photo itself was intact.