• Chapter 23 •

Nuria POV

After training, Mesut brings me to Santiago Bernabeu, where I left my car. There is an awkward silence, throughout the trip, and Mesut looks sad. He seemed to go well this morning, but he is completely different now. I want to ask him what's wrong, but I can't. Again, my shyness is stronger than me. So I remain silent too. When we arrive at Santiago Bernabeu, I kiss him then leave his car saying goodbye. But he doesn't react and leave as soon as I close the door. I get into my car and go home. I wonder what 's wrong with Mesut. I hope it's not my fault. Suddenly, I look back at what happened this morning. Maybe he's mad at me because I rejected him. I'm sure this is the reason. I was happy with him, and I blew it. I feel tears running down my cheeks. I must explain. But not now. I'm not in the mood. Arriving at my building, I park my car. I stay there a few seconds to dry my tears, and then I go to my apartment.

Mesut POV

I go home, thinking about what Sergio said. And the more I think about it, the more I am convinced he is right. That explains why she didn't want to come with me yesterday. That would explain why she rejected me this morning. And as shy as she is, she probably does not dare to leave me. However, last night she told me she loved me. Was she lying? Did she say it only to please me? Or is Sergio wrong? I hope this is the last solution. But to be sure, I have to ask her. Yes. That's it. Tomorrow, after the training, I'll go talk to her. I'll ask her if she really loves me.

•••

Nuria POV

When I get to training, there is almost no one. I got up early this morning because I couldn't sleep. I was thinking about Mesut. I must speak to him today. I 'm a little bit scared, but I have to.

Little by little, members of the staff and the players arrive. When Mesut come, I give him a smile. But he doesn't pay attention to me. I wince. He really seems to be mad at me. To not think about Mesut, I focus on the photos that I must take. This does not really work since he is one of the players that I am supposed to photograph. When the training ends, he did not give me a single glance, and he get back to the locker room right away. I go to the parking lot and I wait near his car. After minutes that seem endless, he finally appears. When he saw me, he smiled awkwardly.

-Hey! Nuria. How are you?
- I'm fine. And you?
- I'm okay. I... I wanted to talk to you.
-Talking ... to me?

I'm a little frightened by what he wants to say.

- Yes. I want to know... if ... Do you love me?

I am surprised by his question and I remained silent a few seconds.

- Yes. Yes, of course.

But despite my answer , he have a sad face.

- That's not true, he said simply. You hesitated. You don't have to tell me that you love me to make me happy, you know. Sergio was right. You don't like me.
- No, Mesut. I love you. I don't know what Sergio said, but that's wrong.

But he doesn't listen to me . He gets into his car and leaves. I stand here, in the middle of the parking lot, crying.