Impatient

For a few days, I tried my best to forget about the letter. I even hid it under my mattress. But I guess the Queen got impatient, because she sent another letter a week later.
I wasn't lucky enough to snatch this new letter though, before my mom saw it. Before she had even opened it, her eyes went wide, and she rushed off to tell dad.
I tried telling her that it was my letter, and I had the right not to let her read it, but it was no use. By that time, Liam and Ethan had come in to see what all the noise was about.
"The Queen sent you a letter?!" Liam shouted. Sheepishly, I looked down at the ground as I said "Two. I got one last week too."
     I went and retrieved the first letter from under my mattress, then sat down at the dining room table where the rest of my family was waiting.
Dad, who was now holding the unopened envelope, handed it to me to open. Slowly, I tore open the paper.

Dear Lilah,
I don't want to rush you, but a decision must be made. I need an heir to the throne, and I have no other choice. One week from now, I will send someone to bring you to the castle. There, you will get a tour and hopefully accept your place as princess. I hope to see you soon.
Sincerely,
Queen Amber

     I sat there at the table, staring at this new letter for a good minute before anyone spoke.
     "Well? What does it say?" Ethan asked excitedly. I set both letters in the center of the table. Ethan grabbed for them, but Liam got them first.
     After reading both, he didn't speak, just handed them to mom and dad, who exchanged a glance I couldn't interpret.
     As my parents read the letters, Ethan kept jumping up saying "Let me read them! Let me read them!"
     Finally, everyone (except Emma, since she was only two) had read the letters. Nobody knew what to say. But the silence was getting awkward.
     So I faced my parents and said "Mom? Dad? Am... am I adopted?"