Chapter 18

Hey guys!

Here's the next chapter!
Btw, Happy Chinese New Year!! If you're lucky, you get red packets that contain money in them ;) I am getting tons soon.

Julia :)

~*~ 

Chapter 18

I was sitting by the edge of the small shallow river. Others were already inside. I was splashing some water. They were already soaked dripping wet, whilst I, was still not wet.

  “Come on in, Rose!” Alex hollered, I looked at him, his blonde hair flat.

  “You’re gonna catch a cold sitting there in a sexy bikini,” Kris whined and I blushed, crossing my arms over my chest. “Come on!”

  “The water’s so nice, come on, Rose!” Nikki pouted.

  “Just get in; if you don’t like it, then you can go out.” Ash suggested.

They were all basically pressuring me. It wasn’t nice. Finally, I stood up, ready to jump in at last. But then somebody pushed my bare back from behind and I collapsed into the water, unready.

Water engulfed me quickly. I thrashed my hands around me, trying to surface, while my legs kept kicking repeatedly but fail. Water was flooding me quickly. I needed air, but I couldn’t, I just couldn’t surface.

Just as I thought there was no hope, a pair of strong arms circled my waist and pulled me to the surface. I inhaled deeply and coughed out water.

  “I am so sorry Rose,” Chase said, he was right in front of me, his eyes laced with regret, “I didn’t know you couldn’t swim!”

  “I-It’s okay,” I said, coughing some more, “I just-It’s an old phobia that’s all.”

No one pressed further. I looked to my savior and found Jake. He looked incredibly hot shirtless and wet. His hair was wet and made him look very hot.

  “Dirty thoughts now, Rose?” Jake smirked and I blushed, smacking his arm, but he didn’t let go of me.

  “Geez,” I muttered, “Thank you anyway.”

  “Second time,” He said. “Welcome. But be careful next time.”

At first, they were a little cautious around me. They were pushing each other in the water and sometimes dunk them, but they don’t do it to me at first. Then, slowly, they warmed up with me. It was fun; the water was cooler than ever.

By the first sign of darkness, we dried off and got changed.

~*~

With one swift drag across the side of the matchbox, the matchstick lighted up immediately. Alex then put the match in the bundle of dry wood, which slowly burnt. In a while, the fire was alive.

Nikki passed each of us a long thin stick. Then, as I was fiddling with my stick, the tempting packet of marshmallows came my way. I chucked a marshmallow on the end of my stick. Lastly, I held it out and let the fire do its job.

I guess I was too focused on my marshmallow craving that I didn’t notice Chase and Ash pulling out their guitars. They did a sound test while everyone looked at them.

  “Just want to sing a couple of songs,” Ash said simply, already strumming the first few chords of a song.

  “It’s a Colbie Caillat song.” Chase added, positioning his fingers for the first notes.

The only sound that was heard was the sound of Ash and Chase singing, switching turns every now and then. Everyone was mesmerized by their performance. Their voices were smooth and soothing.

By the chorus, I recognized the song immediately. They sang every lyric out clearly, as though sending a message. And they were.

I see your blue eyes every time I close mine

You make it hard to see

Where I belong to, when I’m not around you

It’s like I’m not with me

But I never told you what I should have said

No, I never told you, I just held it in

And now I miss everything about you

I can’t believe I, I still want you

After all the things we’ve been through

I miss everything about you, without you

Then it all made sense. That song wasn’t just a random pick, or a certain favor to the tune. Ash meant it. Chase might know how he feels, since they’re so close.

Slowly, the rest sang along when they got used to the beat. Nikki’s voice was beautiful, high but still calming. I hummed the tune and tapped my feet. The beat was addicting.

After the last chord strummed, everyone erupted into claps and whistles. Chase and Ash did a dramatic bow and put away their guitars. We ate our marshmallows, died down the fire and went to our respective tents.

I couldn’t fall asleep. Kris and Nikki were fast asleep. My mind was filled with the lyrics of the song. I Never Told You by Colbie Caillat.

He meant every word he said. The message was clear. He simply still wants me. But did I want him?