Chapter Four

"Well, darlin'," Jace started the next morning as they brushed out their horses for the first day that they start the ride back to the ranch with the mustangs they would train. "It looks like you and Clay have worked thangs out."

     Misty chuckled as she set down Midnight's hoof that she had just picked. "I don't know what you're talkin' about." She said, almost sarcastically, as she walked around Midnight's rear to clean out his back right hoof.

     "I'm serious. I think that he's finally noticed you. I saw how he was lookin' at you last night around the fire. And the way that he wiped off the invisible 'marshmallow' that was supposedly on your cheek? I think he's finally figured out that you're a girl...and that you even exist." Jace said in a teasing voice as he shot Misty a wink.

     Standing up, Misty threw the curry comb that she had set on Midnight's back at Jace. "Hush up. Geez." Misty smiled. She loved her friend, no matter how jealous he sounded right about now.

     "You're welcome." Jace raised his eyebrows, pointing the curry at Misty.

     Misty shrugged. "Never said thank you." She went back to picking out Midnight's hooves.

     "Oh, but you will." Jace responded, a knowing look on his face.

     "And for what exactly do I have to thank you for?" Misty asked, resting her arms on Midnight's back after finishing his hooves.

     "Well, for settin' you and Clay up." Jace responded casually from beside Bailey.

     Misty furrowed her eyebrows. "Okay, now I really don't know what you're talkin' about."

     Jace stopped brushing his horse to look at Misty. "I suggested to your dad that he should put you two together for the round up. I told him to have y'all pick up the stragglers...figured it'd give y'all plenty of time for y'all to...get to know each other...looks like it worked." Jace smiled, resuming brushing out his mare. "I said it as a joke at first, but I reckon he thought it was a great idea."

     "You little..." Misty shook her head at her friend. "I'm not goin' to thank you for that. And for your information, nothing has happened, so, sorry cowboy, but your plan doesn't seem to be workin'." Misty replied, placing her saddle pad on Midnight's back.

     "We still got a few days." Jace countered as he picked out Bailey's hooves. When he stood back up, he saw Misty carrying her saddle to Midnight. "Why are you limping?" Jace asked, walking to the other side of his mare, so he was closer to Misty.

     "Just sore." Misty lied, forcing a smile.

     "Does it have anything to do with someone ridin' up the herd to the lead stallion yesterday?" Jace asked, giving Misty a look that said he already knew the answer.

     "Um. I mean...maybe?" Misty said, slinging the saddle onto Midnight's back.

     "Misty, honey, I know it was you. I saw you ridin' up." Jace slung his saddle onto Bailey's back.

     "Then why did you ask me?" Misty smiled.

     Jace shrugged before answering. "I wanted to see if you'd tell me the truth." Smiling, Jace continued. "I knew you wouldn't keep it from me."

     "Please don't tell my dad." Misty replied as she tightened Midnight's cinch.

     "He's gonna find out." Jace replied, slipping on Bailey's bridle.

     "I know, but I want to be the one to tell him." Misty held her bridle in her hand as she answered Jace. 

     "Well, now's your chance." Jace said, throwing his head backwards to tell Misty her dad was coming over to where they were. "I'll see you in a bit." Jace said, taking Bailey's reins and leading her away.