Chapter Thirty Four (FINAL Chapter)

Pulling into Misty's ranch, Clay saw her truck parked in front of the barn. With a smile, he shut off his truck, jogging to the door of the old barn. Walking inside, Clay started to call Misty's name, but stopped mid sentence when he saw her laying on a stack of hay bales. She had set down an old horse blanket on top of the hay bales. Poor thing was probably exhausted. Seeing her sleeping so peacefully, knowing that she had to have been waiting for Clay to get there, made Clay only fall in love with her even more, as cliche as it sounded. 

           Slowly walking over to the bed Misty had fashioned, Clay sat down by her feet that were all curled up. Resting a hand on her knees, Clay leaned forward, dropping a long kiss on her temple. He hadn't meant to wake her, but Misty stirred, looking up at Clay. Once she processed where she was, and that it was Clay who woke her, Misty sat up on the bales, resting a hand on top of the one that Clay had resting on her knee. With her other hand, she rubbed her eyes. "Clay, what are you doin' here?" She let out a sleepy chuckle.

          Clay couldn't help but smile at how adorable Misty looked with her messy hair, sleepy eyes, and groggy voice. Reaching up with his free hand, Clay pulled a couple pieces of hay out of Misty's crazy mane of hair. "I came to see you. I got your note." 

          "You're wearin' the sweatshirt." Misty observed, still fully waking up. "So, does this mean..." She searched Clay's eyes.

          "Yeah, baby, we are okay. I came here to apologize. I should never have called you selfish or anything like that. I am not making excuses for us, but I think we were both extremely exhausted and had a lot goin' on. We didn't get to see each other that much this past week at all. So I just...Mist, I feel horrible for how I treated you." Clay said genuinely, rubbing a thumb over Misty's hand. 

         "No, Clay, you have no reason to apologize. You are right. I have been extremely selfish recently and I am really sorry about that. I promise to be better about it from here on out. I'm honestly really glad that you said something because I had been blind to it. I know we have been datin' for six months, but for some reason, I still feel like I am new to all of this and I don't know what to do sometimes and I just..." Misty looked up at Clay to see her smiling at her rambling. Her shoulders slumped slightly when she looked at the best thing that she ever had, the man that she almost lost because of her selfishness. "Clay, I am so sorry." 

         "C'mere." Clay held out his arms to Misty, embracing her in a hug. "I forgive you sweetheart." He kissed the top of her head, holding onto the one person that he never wanted to lose. "I love you more than anything, Misty McAdams." He whispered into her hair. 

        Lifting her head up, Misty smiled. "I love you too, Clay Montgomery." She reached a hand up to his jaw line, fingering right where his beard stopped. "You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I don't know what I would do if I ever lost you." 

          "You don't have to worry your pretty little face about that. You won't ever lose me. I hope you know that I have every intention on marrying you one day, what do you say?" He replied lovingly, with a smile. 

          "I say that I can't wait for that day." Despite her exhaustion, Misty couldn't hide her excitement. 

           "Good." Clay sealed his promise to Misty with a kiss. He kissed her with everything in him, kissing her like never before. 

         After a couple minutes of locking lips, Misty pulled back because she had something she had to say. "Clay," Misty started, still curled up in him. "Thank you, again, for everythin'. This ranch really is my dream come true and I cannot tell you how thankful I am for what you did to get it for me. I have every intention on payin' you back for the down payment."

        "That's not allowed. Plus, one day it will be our ranch, so I don't see why you would pay me back for it. Besides, it was a gift, so there's no reason regardless why you would." Clay put a finger up to Misty's lips when she opened her mouth to protest. "Shh. Don't say anythin'. You can thank me by givin' me another kiss." 

         "Yes sir." Misty mumbled, leaning forward to close her lips over Clay's. 

         "I don't know about you, darlin', but I am plumb tuckered." Clay pulled back. 

          "I'm just as tired as you, guaranteed." Misty said, yawning for emphasis. 

           "Good. Well, we best get some sleep then, huh?" For the first time since he got to the ranch, Clay let go of Misty to jog to his truck. Opening the back door of his cab, Clay pulled out two blankets that he had for times like this. Walking back into the barn, Clay saw Misty laying down on the hay bales again, practically already asleep. With a smile, he pulled out his phone, turning on it's flashlight. Walking over to the door, Clay shut off the overhead lights before covering up Misty with a blanket, sliding onto the hay bales next to her, wrapping her up in his arms. Never in his life did he think he would be able to fall so madly in love with a woman. 

                                                                 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

             Misty stirred awake when she felt Clay playing with the ends of her hair. Opening her eyes, she saw Clay staring at her lovingly. With a grin, she mumbled, "Mornin'." She stretched her arms above her head, watching Clay.

           "Mornin'." Clay smiled back, resting his hand on top of her waist.

          "How long have you been awake, watchin' me sleep?" Misty asked, pulling the blankets up higher on herself in the cold barn. 

          "Not long, but I wish it was longer. I could stare at your beauty all day." Clay meant it. 

          Misty snorted, swatting at Clay's chest. "Hush up and kiss me, you flirt." She didn't care that either of them had morning breath, she only cared that she loved waking up next to Clay.

           "You hungry for some breakfast?" Clay asked, pulling back from the kiss.

           "Is food all you think about?" Misty teased, watching Clay stand up, loving how he looked in that navy blue hoodie with the Triple M Ranch logo on it. 

           "Besides you, pretty much." Clay leaned over where Misty still laid on the hay bales to give her forehead a kiss. "Come on, sleepy head, we have to start our day." He reached out a hand to a groaning Misty, pulling her up to him. 

           "I'm so sore. Those hay bales are definitely not comfortable." Misty placed a hand on her back, stretching to try to alleviate some of the soreness.

         "I'll give you a back rub whenever we get back from gettin' breakfast." He walked closer to Misty, a smile on his face. "I thought we could run into town and get some take out and coffee, come back here and eat it, and begin making plans to get this ranch up and runnin'. Whaddya say?" He wrapped his arms around Misty's waist, looking down at her, with only genuine happiness in his eyes. 

        "I think that sounds perfect." Misty closed the gap between them with a kiss. "Absolutely perfect." She whispered. Never in her life did she believe that she would get everything she had ever wanted: the perfect ranch, a great rescue mustang horse...the most handsome ranch hand ever. It was all still a dream to her, and it's one that she hoped she never woke up from. 

                                                                ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author's Note: Hey, y'all, so that is the last chapter of Mustang Dreams. I truly hope that y'all enjoyed the book. Please please please let me know what you this of this book and this chapter, and if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. 
STAY TUNED: I will be revealing some exciting news for y'all in the very near future.
Thank you to all who have read this book. I hope y'all have enjoyed it. God bless! :)