Chapter Twenty

"Clay, thank you for bringing me here tonight." Misty smiled, holding Clay's hand as they walked down Main Street, window shopping. Because of how busy she had been working on the ranch, Misty couldn't remember the last time that she had walked down Main Street. It was out of the way of the freeway, so it wasn't very often that Misty had to come down this street. 

        "You're very welcome, Mist." Clay returned the smile. "Sorry that we got here so late. We will have to come back some other day so we can grab supper before all the good hole in the walls close." 

        "It's okay. I'm havin' fun just window shopping with you. Plus, I think that the ice cream shop on the end of the street is still open for a few more hours." Glancing at Clay, Misty gave him a mischievous grin. 

        "I'm sure we could work that in." Clay teased, gently swinging their hands back and forth as they walked. 

        Taking their time, Clay and Misty eventually reached the end of Main Street, and walked towards the bright neon sign, telling them that Harder's Ice Cream was still open. "Look at the line! This is insane." Misty chuckled as they filed into the back of the long line. Every one of the outdoor seats were occupied.

       "I know. It's Friday night, so there had to have been a high school football game." Clay replied, looking around at the obscene number of teenagers. 

       "I think it's crazy how many people come to the games. Seriously, I think that there are more teenagers here than there are people who live in this town!" Misty exclaimed. 

       A chuckle coming from beside her warmed the nippy air around Misty. "Doesn't it seem like so long ago?" Clay asked, wrapping an arm around Misty's waist, able to tell that she was getting chilly.  

       "So long ago for what?" Misty asked, looking up at Clay. 

       "That we were in high school. I mean, it's only been a year for you, but it's been almost four for me. Sure, I went to college for two years, but that's still so much different than high school." 

       "Yeah, you're right. It does seem like a long time ago. By the way, I'm proud of you for goin' to college. I really wish that I had gone right out of high school." Misty verbalized for the first time. 

        "It's not too late to go." Clay replied, walking forward after two cheerleaders placed their orders, stepping out of the long line. 

         "I know, but now I'm already a year older than all the normal aged freshman; I just think it would be kind of awkward is all." Misty folded her arms over her stomach, wishing she had worn a thicker jacket. In her defense, though, it was not supposed to get this chilly tonight. Based on the temperature change, and the gusty winds, Misty figured that a storm was on it's way. 

        "May I ask why you didn't go right out of high school?" Clay looked down Misty.

       "I really wanted to focus on the family business. For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to own my own mustang rescue ranch, and I know enough stuff about the business, that I don't feel that I need to go to college. But, for the future, it would be good to have at least an associates degree." 

        "I understand that. Ultimately, it's your decision, but if you ever decide that you want to get your degree, I would love to help you get that started. For me it was more of a given that I went to college. My parents both went to very well known universities, but I was more like you. I wanted to stay home with the family business, but my parents didn't really give me a choice. They just told me that I was going to college, and where I was going. It was my decision to just go for two years and get my associates. But, I just want you to know that I would be willing to help you if you decide you want to get a degree." Clay said, walking forward a couple more steps. Behind them, a group of jocks peeled out of the parking lot, screaming and hollering at the cheerleaders as they drove away.