Confessions

My eyes were closed but I couldn't sleep. I carefully stepped over Grace, where she was soundly sleeping with her back to the wall and walked into where Katie was sleeping for the night to check on her, maybe even have a little talk with her.

"Katie, can I come in?" I asked through her door.

"Yeah, come in, Alexis-" Katie answered and as if she remembered something she just started crying. "I'm sorry June, come in." I opened her door and stepped inside, sitting down beside her.

"Who's Alexis? Is she your daughter?"

"No," she said.

"A sister?"

Shaking her head, she replied, "No."

"She was a friend of yours?"

"She was, yes."

"Is she dead?"

"I don't know." Lowering her head, she wiped her eyes. "I think so. You remind me so much of her."

"What was she like?" I asked not only because I wanted to know more about Katie, but also because I actually genuinely cared.

"She's kind. Do you want to know the strangest thing, June?"

"Sure."

"She looks exactly like you, right down to your coffee brown eyes.."

"I would like to meet her someday, if we find her."

"Thanks for talking to me, June. I really needed that," she said as she leaned over to give me a hug. "Well, you better go get some rest. It's a long walk from here."

I stood up to leave her room and get back to Grace. "I hope you find your friend, Katie."

"I hope so too," she faintly whispered as I left her room.

I had a lot on my mind while walking back to Grace's room. I had a twin sister, and her name was Alexis.

Grace was laying on her side, her back to the wall just as I left her. I still can't believe how a child as innocent as Grace can sleep so soundly in a world this broken. She's just a little girl; she doesn't deserve to live in a world where almost everything in it wants her dead. Those were my last thoughts I as I drifted into unconsciousness.