18 luxuries

I awoke the next day feeling older and I smiled I actually made it to eighteen years old. I rolled over to run my fingers through Grace's hair and I sort of panicked when I realized that she wasn't there. I a sweet smell reached my nose and I went downstairs to investigate and find out where the smell was coming from. The scent was coming from the kitchen where Grace and Jasper were desperately trying to cook something. It smelled so good.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and smiled at the two baking something in the stove. This place actually had power?

"What's going on guys?" I asked and smiled when Grace jumped a little when I spoke.

"Happy Birthday June!" They said in unison taking a small pan sized cake from the oven and showed it to me. I could feel myself start tearing up. This was the nicest thing that anyone has ever done for me.

"How.." I asked and i could feel my smile on my face grow and my happiness couldn't be contained.

"I told Jasper about your birthday, and he's the one that suggested finding the materials to bake a cake. We were busy all night finding the ingredients. I hope you like it, June." Grace said before setting the cake on the kitchen table and lit a candle on top.

Tears started streaming down my face. I've never been so happy in my entire life, It's been five years since I had my last birthday cake. "Thank you guys so much.." I said before I gave them the largest hug I've given anyone since the start of the outbreak.

"We found a gift for you, June." Jasper said before he gestured to a closet in the corner, "It's in there."

I walked over to the closet and opened it to find a shiny ax with the handle wrapped in red tape for extra grip. I held it in my hands feeling the blade withe the edge of the blade, it was sharp. I sat the ax down on the table next to the cake.

"Thank you so much for today, this means so much to me and I will always remember this day as long as I live. Thank you.." I said, sitting down at the table by the cake. "Don't let me just eat this cake grab a plate for yourselves." I blew out the candle.

Jasper and Grace grabbed plates and joined my eating my birthday cake while we talked about what happened before the outbreak. And just enjoyed this moment of peace, knowing the road ahead would be difficult and treacherous.

"How does this place actually have power?" I asked as we neared the end of the birthday meal.

"I found a working generator in the basement when we first got here and it still was full of gasoline, last night I fired it up to see if it actually worked. And here we are." Jasper said brushing his long dark hair away from his face.

"Grace go get your gun, I'm going to teach you how to use it." I said then she smiled and got up to retrieve the gun for our room.

"June, It doesn't feel right to be involving her in this, she's just a child." Jasper said as grace left the kitchen.

"None of this feels right, I'm planning a way to kill my brother to free the women he still tortures every day. After that I'm heading to Atlanta with Grace to find my sister. I'm showing her the way in this world because I want her to have a chance in this world, now more than ever. I'm giving her protection when I can't be there to protect her." I said to him.

"But in this moment when or goal right now is to kill your brother."

"Right now, we need her more than ever."

"Okay June, I'm ready now." She said as she smiled at me.

I set a series of cans and bottles on the fence in the backyard before walking back to Grace by the back door.