The Light at the End of the World

I'm trying to breathe, even though my throat is on fire and my lungs feel as if smoldering coals are resting in their airways. Trying to run as hard and fast as I can, Even when my legs are weaker than cooked spaghetti noodles. I always run. I always have, always will. It's something I've always been good at. I'm either jumping over or sliding under fallen trees, hearing my rapid footsteps crunching through the leaves. I could hear my thumping heart, pounding against my eardrums, which I am sure will stop at any second.

I want it to stop. I want to drop dead on the spot, so I don't have to run, hide, or survive another second in this hell, but I promised my one and only friend that I would fight every day and night until my last breath. I never back down from my promises, or I would never make them.

I can hear the sudden shrieks, from what I now call the Screechers, coming closer in my direction as I continue to run. The screeching nearly deafens me as they echo through the woods and the surrounding hills and making me feel as if my eardrums will burst and bleed. I tighten my grip on my bow and arrow, ready to draw them in a moment's notice, but hoping to not use the last two arrows I have left.

The woods are starting to thin out and show signs of letting out onto a highway, one of which my map showed me earlier that day. Maybe I'll find a working vehicle, a civilization that's not in the mood to kill me, food and water, maybe even a damn bath and toothbrush. As my feet pounded across the pavement, I found a small car directly in front of me as if my thoughts were answered by some higher power.

I ran for the car only to be stopped by the horrid stench wafting from within, pieces of multiple bodies splayed out through the small car. The smell was horrible, nothing like anything I've ever smelled in the sixteen years of my life. I heard another screech, louder and closer than before. Without another second of hesitation, I dove through the broken window into the back seat, cutting my knee as I landed. I quickly covered myself in the limbs of the deceased, hoping to mask my scent as the Screechers came to the highway.

The foul creatures stalked through the street slowly, sniffing the air. The one creature I hated seeing and hearing. They were always screaming at each other which attracted more.

After a few minutes which passed like an eternity, the Screechers ran off. I laid there, even though I could barely stand the rotting stench, not daring to twitch a muscle or even blink. After a few more long and agonizing minutes, I finally climbed out of the car and washed my cut leg with the last few drops of water that I had in my thermos, and bandaging my leg while scanning everything in sight and hoping not to get caught up in another chase. I swiped a few chunks of rotting flesh from my clothing before checking the car thoroughly. My wishes were not answered for a working vehicle, but I did get a couple packs full of usable items, such as: some different trail mixes and beef jerky, a couple bottles of unopened waters, another day's worth of clothes, and-what made me smile the most- a full bottle of Jack Daniels and a fully loaded Beretta, which I strapped to my thigh. I also found six more magazines that I made sure to pack into my cargo pants.

I take a quick moment to check my map as I consumed a handful of trail mix and a swig of water. I was on my way down the highway on foot, a few lumps in my freshly damaged knee, knowing there are at least another ten miles until I hit the next small town. Now I have to find a river or something to wash my jacket; winter is just around the corner. It's so cold. But with winter comes snow, and the snow makes them slower.

My sister Alexis is the only thing that keeps me going and has gotten me as far as I am now. I just hope she's still alive; it's been at least five years since I've seen my family, probably longer I've long since lost track of the days. I sighed heavily at the long stretch of road that made my legs go wobbly for the long walk ahead.