Chapter Twelve

A/N: I hope that you enjoy this one. Thank you for reading!

Blood hummed in Camila's ears as Lauren began to unlock the door. All of a sudden, she felt apprehensive, as if crossing the threshold would be almost be far too invasive to Lauren's world. Was she really ready to be within somebody else's domain?

The door swung open into a spacious sitting area, and Lauren walked inside to turn the lights on and draw the blinds over the floor to ceiling windows opposite the entrance. Camila stepped in tentatively, clutching her rucksack close to her chest.

"Here, let me take that," Lauren offered, removing the bag from Camila's tight grasp and taking it through the door on their left, which presumably led to the bedroom.

Standing alone, Camila could not help but feel a stab of disappointment hit her. Lauren's apartment was dismayingly plain. The décor was similar to that of a hotel room; neutral colours with smart furnishings, but nothing too glamorous or flashy. There were no pictures of family or friends about, and the few paintings on the wall were dull and featureless. It all lacked the personal touches that would make a place something Camila had hoped she was entering: a home.

In truth, Camila could not deny that she had wanted to use Lauren's apartment to try and understand the woman better. The idea that seeing the space where she was comfortable and relaxed... even just herself... now seemed a foolish one. She remained as utterly unreadable as before.

"Did you choose the décor?" Camila asked as Lauren reappeared.

The agent passed the latch over the front door and checked it was secure with a quick tug on the door handle. Satisfied, she turned back to Camila.

"No, I didn't," she replied, "My work gave me the apartment as it is now. I so rarely stay here that I never saw the point in making any changes,"

"None at all?"

The corners of Lauren's mouth twitched.

"You don't like it?"

"It's not very you..." Camila mumbled.

The moment the words left her lips, it occurred to Camila what a preposterous statement it was. She knew virtually nothing about the woman standing opposite her. In actual fact, the apartment itself was completely her. It was neat and tidy, but totally without the warmth and emotion that Camila craved.

There was a fleeting flicker of something indistinct in Lauren's face, but any real expression that had threatened to reveal itself was quickly suppressed.

"It does the job," she said finally, casting a lingering look around the room, "Come on, I'll show you to your room,"

The open plan layout felt even more sizeable without the usual clutter that most homes gather over time. To the right-hand side was the kitchen, with clean white cabinets and glassy black work surfaces, and also the lavatory. Camila was led in the opposing direction, through into the bedroom.

Her rucksack was already sat out in the middle of the large double bed, creating a sense of homeliness despite her foreign surroundings. The floor to ceiling windows continued on into this room, and unlike the living area, Lauren had left the blinds open, so the distant city lights twinkled through the glass.

Sitting down on the edge of the mattress, Camila bounced a little on the balls of her feet, lightly testing its springiness.

"Will it do?" Lauren asked, watching as the younger girl drank it all in.

"Perfectly," Camila nodded, "But where are you staying?"

"I'll take a blanket on the sofa," Lauren shrugged.