Chapter Thirty-Seven

A/N: The end of my exams is getting near, and it will be such a relief to be able to get back to writing again, rather than just revision! We're entering the final stages of this story, and I just want to say again how pleased I am that you've made it this far, and how thankful I am for your support.

The day after her close shave with death, Lauren returned to work. She was, on the whole, unharmed, aside from a few minor scratches. Camila had watched her closely for the rest of the day after the incident, and noted that her girlfriend was undeniably more jumpy than usual. That night, she had held her more tightly to her chest as they slept, but when morning came, she had to accept that Lauren would be back at the police station, whether she liked it or not.

"At least let me drive you," Camila insisted exasperatedly, as Lauren pulled on her suit.

"Camz, it's fine,"

"Lauren, I haven't got a job to go to. Can't I just see you safely to work?"

The agent paused, one hand on the front door, blazer hanging from one shoulder. Pleading eyes met her own, and she found herself relenting quickly.

"Okay," she sighed, "You can drive me,"

Camila clapped her hands together, and skipped past Lauren in the doorway, snatching her car keys from her grip as she darted past. Biting her lip with a reluctant chuckle, Lauren locked the apartment, and went after the younger woman, who had taken off down the corridor.

They climbed into the car, and Camila started the engine, and drove the car out into the road. Automatically, she reached for the car radio, but Lauren stopped her.

"I'm really not in the mood for the radio, Camz,"

"You're never in the mood for the radio," Camila rolled her eyes, "What's not to love about music in the car?"

"Well, firstly, it's not safe," Lauren shrugged, "It distracts from the road. And also... Lucy used to really like listening to music in the car, and I can't have it on without feeling like..."

Camila glanced over at Lauren, who had averted her gaze to the passenger window.

"I'm sorry, Lauren. I didn't know,"

"It's cool," Lauren waved her hand absentmindedly, "It's always the little things, you know? I'll get over them sometime, but that healing process is a long one, I guess. I'm sorry,"

"You don't have to apologise for that, baby. Not now, and not ever, okay?"

"Yeah," Lauren nodded, giving a soft smile, "Yeah, I know,"

They came to a halt outside the police station, and Lauren gathered together her stuff. Leaning across the handbrake, she planted a delicate kiss on Camila's lips, before climbing out of the car. As she got out, she turned to see Shawn and Vero strolling towards her.

"Morning, Lauren," Vero held up a hand in greeting, "I heard about your little adventure yesterday! Was our night of chaos not enough of an adrenaline rush for you?"

Lauren gave a short laugh.

"Obviously not. I'm just a thrill seeker, what can I say?"

"Please don't let Head Office hear you talking like that," Shawn groaned, "I'm still trying to convince them that you're as reliable as I swear you are,"

"Relax," Lauren slapped him on the back, "I promise to harness my adrenaline junkie tendencies for the force of good, okay?"

"I'll hold her to that!" Camila called jokingly from the car.

On hearing her voice, Shawn and Vero almost jumped out of their skins.

"I didn't realise you were in there, Mila!" Shawn laughed, leaning down to look into the vehicle, "How are you doing?"