31. Conscript

There's nothing worse than being left waiting. Which is exactly what Athena had done. Some part of me knew she was doing it on purpose, wanting me to taste what I couldn't have before she swooped in and destroyed it. She wanted me to see the life she would take away. She wanted me to know that she would take it all away.
A whole week had passed since our arrival back to the city. I had passed my time catching up on months worth of sleep.
My waking hours were spent helping to rid the place of dust and charring. A lot of work had to be put into it, but it was beginning to feel like a home again. The fact that we had this little project to share was helping us all adjust to living again. It was helping us let go.

It seemed that everyone had forgotten about the impending war. It was hard to focus on things that weren't immediately in front of you.
Right now we were just doing our best to make our home back the way it should be.

Tag had not brought up my conscription again, though I could see it in the way he looked at me sometimes.
Even I was starting to hope that they might not call on me. Slowly, I began to find comfort with my little family. We were almost normal from the outside.

Today I was in the courtyard. Anahi had rid it of ash, with Alvor's help. They had gotten closer since Riley's passing. He needed her, just as I needed Kai.
She was passing me new seeds to plant around the cleansed pool.

I was never averse to getting my hands dirty, especially not for good causes. We were all in the courtyard, finally doing something wholesome, as a family. Even Alvor's face had relaxed slightly, as he planted a baby tree with careful hands, patting the dirt to settle the new life. It was sort of symbolic.

Ebony was rolling in the dirt making mud pies, loving the group activity. She was seemingly unaffected by her travels. That wasn't a bad thing in my mind.

The soil had extra nutrients, specially concocted for the plants to be able to grow under the synthesised light. So soon our little garden will be greener than it had ever been before.

I smiled as Ebony offers me one of her specially made mud pies, "Oh, thank you so much! I think this is your best one yet!"

The little girl delivers me one of her pearly smiles, before returning to make more for everyone else. I laugh at the muddy mess in my hands.

Tag smiles at me from across the pool, "Aren't you going to try your mud pie Serena? It delicious!" He calls, having made Ebony think he had actually eaten his.

"Since you loved it so much, I wont deprive you of another," I grin as I launch my mud pie. It hit its mark, directly on his chest, splattering everywhere.

Ebony falls over laughing at Tag's shocked expression. Even Kai lets out a rogue laugh. Tag seizes the opportunity to grab a hand full of dirt and launches it at his brothers face. Soon we're engaged in a mud war. Anahi has run for cover, not wanting to soil her dress, somehow she had managed to work in the garden without getting a single grain of dirt under her perfect fingernails. Alvor follows silently.

This was the first time we had managed to truly relax since being home. It was wonderful to see them smile for once. For a moment, everything was perfect, just as it should be.

We all toiled happily in the courtyard all afternoon, throwing the odd mud ball when the other was least expecting it, until a delicious smell began to wash out from the kitchen. Anahi came and leant on the archway, looking at us all in disgust, "You are not eating dinner looking like that. All of you, go and clean yourselves up," She claps her hands at us like a scolding mother. No one is upset by her disgust. Everyone rises from the dirt, grinning like schoolkids. We know we should go to the bath house, but the lazy option was far more alluring.

As soon as I'm in my room, I peel off my dress, leaving it on the floor as I step into the pool. The warm water wraps around me as I dip my head under, letting it wash over my muddy hair.

Kai slips through the curtain, mud all over his face, seeing my dress on the floor makes him hover by the door, unsure of his welcome.

"Join me," I beckon playfully, flicking water at him.

His eyes twinkle, taking his top over his head, leaving it by my dress. All the while the icy blue gaze never leaves mine as he steps in after me. He doesn't stop until our noses almost touch. I could feel his breath on my lips, taunting me.

My heart was beating against my ribs, begging me to reach out and touch him. He traces a line of feather lite kisses up my jawline, making my toes curl underneath the water.

"Suddenly, I'm not very hungry," He murmurs next to my ear, his breath tickling my neck.

I kiss him greedily, taking my fill. Something he is more than happy to give.

His hands trace the lines of my body while my hands find their way into his hair. We hadn't been truly close since returning. I think we both needed time to recover from our wounds. But it all melted away as we sated our need for each other.

"Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?" His lips travel along mine at a slower pace.

My breath hitches when he kisses at the base of my neck. I can feel his lips smile as he starts to pull me closer, both of us loosing ourselves.

"Kaiiiiiiiiiii!" Ebony's voice yells from somewhere in the courtyard.

Kai sighs by my face. I try to catch my breath, not wanting him to stop.

"Kaiiiiiiiii?! Where are youuuuuuuuu!" She calls again.

I can hear her little feet pitter patter up the walkway. I quickly grab my towel and cover myself before she comes bursting through the curtains completely unaware, "Dinners ready! Whats taking you so long?!" She pouts, stomping her little foot.

"Sorry Ebony, we're just coming down. Save our seats for us?" I parry, hoping she'll take the bait.

She huffs, nodding at her task, "I'll make sure no one sits in your seats," she confirms.
I wait for the pitterpatter of tiny feet to subside.
Kai laughs, resting his forehead against mine, "Best not keep Madame waiting."