8: Adri

For a moment, she doesn't answer, and I start to panic. I may have freaked her out. Did I go too fast? Force our friendship? Cross a line? But before I can apologize, Adriana says, "I don't know. I don't know how to let people in. I'm not exactly what you would call a 'friendly' person."

I break into a smile at her answer. Sure, it's an answer that's going to present me with even more problems, but at least it's an answer.

"Well, for starters, you could let me be your friend," I say with a small smile.

The corners of her mouth quirk upwards, but yet again, she doesn't fully smile. "Why do you want me to be your friend so badly?" she teases.

Because we're soulmates.

"I thought we went through this already?" I say with a forced laugh.

She cocks an eyebrow, and says, "Just 'cause we're in the same grade doesn't mean we have to be friends. So why the sudden kindness?"

Because when I touched you, my world exploded into color.

"Because you seem fun. And I need some fun people in my goody two shoe life," I say again.

"Fun is a word I've never been described with before," she muses. "It's usually something along the lines of 'messed up' and 'antisocial' and occasionally, 'rude'."

"Well, to be honest, you are pretty quiet and scary," I tease her. "But that's not really you. The kids at school just don't pay attention well enough."

"And what about you?" she asks, finally looking into my eyes, "Do you pay attention?"

Somehow the questions seems more than just paying attention to people at school. It seems like a fully loaded question, and I get nervous as I answer. "I try," is all I say.

That answer seems to please her, because she says, "Alright, Dare. I suppose we can be friends."

"So I passed the test?"

A large grin spreads across my face as Adriana replies, "Don't get too excited, pal. I'm just here to show you how to have fun your senior year."

I grin, and say, "Thanks, Adrianna."

"Call me Adri."

My heart is beating so fast it's a wonder it hasn't popped out of my chest yet. I smile widely, and say, "Thanks...Adri."

The corners of her mouth quirk up into a small smile, which only makes my heart beat even faster. Before I can even say something, my bedroom door opens, and my mother walks in with a stack of laundry.

"Dare, honey, I really need you to fix the sink- oh! Hello! Who's this?" My mother is smiling widely at Adri, who is hiding her laugh behind her hand.

"Mom!" I jump to my feet, taking the laundry from her hands and throwing them into my closet. "This is, uh, a friend of mine. From school."

"Nice to meet you sweetie," says Mom, reaching around me to shake hands with Adri.

"I'm Adri, nice to meet your Mrs. Spencer," says Adri, her voice still full of laughter.

"Lovely to meet you, dear. Dare didn't say he would be having friends over," Mom fixes me with a look of disapproval, but continues, "Would you like to stay for dinner? My husband and I can whip something up for you two."

"Oh, no, I'm fine,"replies Adri. "I'll be out of your hair before you even know it."

"No worries, sweetheart. You're welcome back here anytime," she says, flashing a smile at Adri. As she turns to finally leave my room, she winks at me and murmurs, "She's sweet, I like her!"

"Mom!" I protest, but she has already left my room and retreated down the hall. I turn to face Adri, a mortified expression on my face.

Adri is just laughing, and says, "I like your Mom."

"She's crazy," I chuckle nervously.

"She's sweet," Adri corrects me, rifling through some old sketches on my desk. "You can tell she really loves you."

"Yeah. Yeah, I s'pose so."