13: I'm Fine.

The next couple of days, I didn't approach Adri. I saw her in the hall and in the cafeteria. But I let her have her space. I don't want to intrude or pry into her life; I only want to be a friend. The only problem? I'm not sure where the line is; what would a friend do, and what would someone's soulmate do? I have no idea.

In the boy's locker room, Carter and I change into gym shorts and t-shirts. Today in PE we have to run a mile in under 15 minutes to pass. Safe to say, this is the most dreaded day of the whole semester.

Carter flashes me a grin, and asks, "How you doing?" I grunt in reply; ever since I told Lauren and Carter about Adri, they've both been taking every silent moment to offer me pieces of encouragement. As if daily text messages from my mother aren't enough, now I have these two doing it too.

"I'm fine, Carter."

"I'm just saying, if you ever want to talk or anything, I'm totally here to-"

"Carter," I cut him off. "I'm fine."

He opens his mouth to say something, but I can hear coach's whistle being blown in the gym. I shrug, then hurry to tie my tennis shoes and join the others in the gym.

And then I see her; Adri stands to one side, talking with James from the football team. I watch them closely, but try not to make it obvious. James is leaning against the wall, standing extremely close to Adri. Just the sight of him being so close to her, to my soulmate, makes me want to punch him. How dare he flirt with her?

Adri looks tired, but doesn't turn James down as he obviously flirts with her. What in the world? James Lorace -Jared Lorace's twin brother -is the biggest womanizer in the school. He hooks up with a girl each week, then dumps them the next. Why is Adri tolerating him?

From across the gym, Adri catches my eye. For a moment we just look at each other, but then she reverts her gaze back to James.

I look down in embarrassment and disappointment. When I take another peek at Adri and James, I see James hand Adri a slip of paper. She nods, and slips it into her pocket. And then, just like nothing had happened, the two split and rejoin the group of students.

Pretending I had seen nothing, I walk up to Adri. "Hey," I greet her.

"Hi," she replies.

"So, when do you want to continue the psychology project?" I ask, trying to continue the conversation.

"Does tonight work?" she asks quietly.

"Works for me," I reply. "Want to come over around seven?"

"Sure. Could you pick me up? My dad is using my car for the day," she says.

"Sure. I'll pick you up around seven, then?" I ask again.

"Sounds good. See you then, Dare," she says. She offers me a small smile, nothing like the laughter I have seen before, and returns to the other side of the gym to begin her mile. I try to keep my gaze off of her, but every time my mind wanders during the 15 minute run, I find myself watching her.

Doesn't she know she's beautiful? That she's worth far more than James Lorace?

That was the last time I saw Adri in a perfect light. After tonight, it became much harder to love her.

A/N: Hope you're liking it! The gif at the top is of Dare.