Chapter 20 [Summer]

// Alice's album name is "Here Comes The Sun". Let's just say that the songs on the list are hers, but it's not okay. They belong to the original artists but in this story, it's Alice's.

SUMMER:

Here Comes The Sun - Alice Peck

1. Made in the USA (Demi Lovato)

2. Roar (Katy Perry)

3. Change Nothing (Jessica Sanchez)

4. Baby I (Ariana Grande)

5. Play It Again (Becky G)

6. Ready or Not (Bridgit Mendler)

7. You Don't Know Me (Elizabeth Gillies)

8. Hurricane (Bridgit Mendler)

9. Two Pieces (Demi Lovato)

10. Who Says (Selena Gomez)

11.

I stared at Alice's unfinished album of songs. We need one more, and that's the one Alice and I are writing but never seem to make it stick to the beat. Sure, Niall's been helping us but it's still hard.

"What have we got so far?", I asked her. She sighed. "Same lyrics," she said. "But we added, 'Let's go another round till the sky is falling down'." I groaned. She did too.

"This is going nowhere," she sighed. "I like the song 'Two Pieces' if that helps," I tried to sound cheerful but Alice just scoffed. "I know," she sighed. "I like it too, but this last song is freaking annoying!"

"Well," I shrugged. "We have nothing to write about, that's why." Alice got up from her chair and started pacing. "Why can't I get my heart broken so I'll be inspired?", she said. "This song is about acceptance that things don't always go our way."

I shrugged. "That'd suck," I said. "You want your heart to get broken just so you can write some uplifting song for depressed people?" She nodded. "Damn," I said. "We really are exhausted."

"Can I stay here for dinner?", she asked. "Sure," I said. "Dad, Mom and Clayton are in a conference. Jeff is over at a friend's house. Dinner with Hallie is kinda annoying, so feel free to join us." She laughed.

Alice and I got out of my room then made our way to the living room. I was surprised to hear laughter. Not just Hallie's laughter, a group's laughter. So Hallie wasn't alone. Maybe her actor friends are here too.

We entered the living room and I spotted the One Direction boys, Eleanor and some blonde girl. When Harry saw me, his eyes widened and so did Hallie's. Okay... weird..

"Summer!", Hallie got up. "I thought you were out. I thought I was alone so I invited the boys, Eleanor and..." She turned to the blonde girl.

"Emma," she finished for her. "Right," Hallie smiled. "Emma." Hallie looked uncomfortable. Emma was skinny and pretty. Model material.

"Hi Alice!", Niall blurted out. "Hey," Alice blushed. I shook my head and laughed to myself. "You guys remember Eleanor, right?", Louis joined in the conversation.

"Of course," I smiled. "We met at the BSE wrap party." Eleanor beamed. "Hello to you both," she said.

We socialized in the living room, whilst Harry just stayed seated. I excused myself out of the conversation and sat beside Harry. He looked at me and down. It was disappointing. It was as if he doesn't want to talk to me.

"Hey," I said. "You okay?" He nodded. "I'm just knackered," he said. "You know, the stress and stuff and---" We were cut off. "Harry!", Emma stepped in. "Don't be such a party pooper." She sat on his lap and I felt a pang of jealousy.

"Socialize," she said then she turned to me. "Hi, I'm Emma Ostilly," she held out her hand. "I'm a good friend of Harry's." Good friend, really? "Hello," I shook it. "I'm Summer. I'm a friend of Harry's too."

Emma striked up a conversation with Harry, and it was as if I wasn't even there. Dinner was no better, Harry and Emma were so handsy on each other. Hallie looked at me with sympathy while Alice had a disgusted look on her face as she glared at Emma.

I knew it. It was too good to be true. Harry would never like me. He only cares about me as a friend. I'm plain, boring Summer. No one would want to date me. I'm not hot like Emma, beautiful like Hallie or talented like Alice.

I'm a nobody. I'm always the last resort. They would always go for the better option 'cause I'm lame. Things don't go my way because there are always better offers. I hate my life.

"Excuse me," I got up from dinner. Oh, and I finally caught Harry's attention. Yaaay, not my sarcasm. "I have to go." Hallie got up. "Summer," she said. "Are you sure? You barely ate." She pointed at my half-empty plate.

"I'm fine," I said. "I just have bigger fish to fry so I'd rather not stay long for dinner. I'll be in my room if you need me. Goodbye!" Alice looked at me. "I'll catch up," she said. I nodded then left the dining room.

Emma Ostilly, perfect blonde hair; perfect body; maybe perfect everything. No wonder why Harry likes her. Gaaahh, I feel so stupid. Well, I was stupid enough to hope that a guy like Harry might like me.

I jumped on my bed and layed there for who knows how long. Maybe long enough to know that dinner's over since Hallie came in uninvited.

"Summer," she sat at the end of my bed. "Are you okay?" I got up and sighed. "No," I told her. "But I'll be, soon." She gave me a sympathetic look. "I-I just felt stupid," I blurted out. "thinking he might possibly you know.."

"Like you...", she finished for me. "I know." She sighed. "For what it's worth, I thought he did too," she said. "That is, until Emma came in the picture. Gah, I find her annoying with her PDA and stuff."

"She's perfect," I sighed. "Unlike me. I'm a black sheep." Hallie shook her head. "Listen, Summer," she said. "You're beautiful, you're talented, you're amazing. A smart guy would see that."

"If Harry can't see that," she added. "Then he's stupid. Okay?" I nodded. "You deserve the best," she kissed my forehead. "Things may not seem right now, but they will eventually. Just keep moving forward."

I nodded. "Thanks Hallie," I said. "I-I should go to bed." Hallie seemed hesitant but she sighed. "Alright," she said. "Sleep tight." She hugged me then left my room.

Hallie may be my diva of a sister but she's loving and caring. I love her to death. Always. She's the best sister ever, I just don't say it that often.

I looked at my bedside table and saw my unfinished song with Alice. I'm not sleepy yet. I just lied. I'll kill time by pulling my crap together and try to finish this.

Here's to never winning first place, I wrote; or maybe, here's to never getting what you want. Here's to crying on your birthday, I went on. Here's to every single heartbreak, I added; or to disappointment that Harry Styles doesn't like you back.

I kept writing random stuff about my emotions and when I finally got tired, I looked at my paper and suddenly I was in awe. Screw my exhaustion, I got out of my room. I hope Alice is still here.

I heard the TV blare, and I found One Direction, Eleanor, Emma and Hallie on the living room watching a movie. Emma was on Harry's lap again, but I rolled my eyes.

Our eyes met, but I looked away before I get mesmerized by those blasted emerald green orbs. Screw it. I ran to the kitchen. I found Alice and Niall, just chilling.

"Summer?", Alice said. "You're awake. What's up?" Niall looked at me then Alice then me again. I smiled and held out the paper.

I beamed, "I finished the song."