Chapter 1

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but the correct answer would actually be '5x^3 + 2x^2 - 4x + 2', you forgot to add the zero at the beginning of the synthetic division in place of the x^2" I correct.

I can see the students to my right snicker at my comment which only makes me feel more proud.

"That's correct miss Pittman," my teacher tells me, "again" I hear her mutter.

I grin to myself and continue writing my notes until the bell rings signaling that class is over. I grab my jacket from the back of my seat along with my bag and notebook on my desk then start to walk out to my car.

"Hey, Sophia!" I hear someone yell from behind me.

I turn around and see my best friend, Kristen Howl, running up to me. She offers me her beautiful smile and links her arm with mine.

"And how was your day?" I ask her, her grin widens even further and I notice now that she has a bounce in her step.

"It was amazing, I went to the DQ not too far from here with Ponyboy, and it was so much fun" she smiles.

I roll my eyes but in a joking way. Kris and Ponyboy have been dating for at least a year now, they started dating her freshman year of high school, and now we're in our sophomore year and they're still going strong.

"What about you?" she asks, "how many people did you correct today" she elbows my side.

"A handful which is less than usual," I say with a laugh, she joins in as well as we both open the doors to the outside.

"Hey, Kris!" I hear Ponyboy yell, he runs up to her and kisses her sweetly.

"Hi cutie" she smiles at him, he seems to notice me for the first time and immediately starts blushing.

"Hey, Sophia," he says sheepishly, I smile at him "Hi Pony," I say.

"Well I hate to interrupt girl talk, but uh Steve's waiting on us with Dallas," he says, my eyes roll involuntary, but I can't help it.

Steve Randle is the bane of my existence. I've gone to the same elementary school as him my entire life, and sadly my parents never put me in a private school to get away from these greasers.

Steve is loud and obnoxious, and completely rude. He used to make fun of me when I was younger because my hand would always shoot up first to answer a question.

I mean... I still do, but still. It hurt my ego a little bit.

He seems like a huge idiot because of basically everything that comes out of his mouth, but he's always been in the same classes as mine, but it might be because he just cheats on all of his tests.

He'll always stare at me when I talk or do something in front of the class and I'm pretty sure it's because he hates me.

Most of the greasers hate me except for Ponyboy and Sodapop, but that's because I'm friends with both of them.

Steve takes me out of my thoughts by loudly honking on his car horn "Hey, we gotta go!" he yells, Kris waves bye to me as her and Pony both get into the car with Steve and Dallas.

I sigh as I feel somewhat defeated as I walk to my car, Cherry stands next to it along with her whole posse.

"Hey Soph" she smiles warmly at me.

"Hey Cherry, how was the party last weekend?" I ask, I open my trunk and put my bookbag in before closing it and turning to face her.

"Oh you know, daddy provided alcohol and snacks, it was a lot of fun you really should have come," she says, I smile and shake my head.