Chapter 18

David held Britney's hand close to him and stared at his sister. There was only one question going through his mind, why? That's all he wanted to know. That's all he needed to know.

"David, hear her out," Britney whispered to him. He slowly nodded him head.

"Just tell me why Becca."

"I wish I could David. I wish I could exactly why, but I don't know myself. I just wanted to keep you guys happy, I felt like I was a burden on you. I felt like I was spending your time on useless things. Private treatment, doctors from America. I didn't want all of that. I just...I wanted to escape. And I did. I met a guy, he was lovely. Although he was strange, he was lovely, and I love him. After six months of meeting him, I got pregnant. I know it was fast, but we had this connection. I thought about coming home everyday, but I was going to have a child and I was going to get married. I pushed it out of my head and just told myself that if I go back, then I will ruin the family. I know it's been eight years, David. I lost the baby, then the next one after that. I thought it was just not meant to be but then I got pregnant with Carl. Then just couple of months ago, I found I was pregnant. Again, with twins. And just couple of days ago, I got into a fight with Aaron. He told me he didn't want Carl in the first place and that he doesn't want the twins. He was always distant, but I couldn't leave him. Till this day I thought I loved him but then it just occurred to me that the only reason why I loved him was because he kept me away from you guys. He was my excuse."

"Bec, why would you think like that?" David let go of Britney's hand and put his on Becca's shoulders. "What...Why? We love you Bec, you can never be a burden on us. Never." David wrapped his arms around his sister. He heard her sob and whispered comforting words in her ear.

"Uncle Dave?" Carl called from the sitting room.

"Yes?"

"Will I ever see my daddy again?" David frowned and picked Carl up and placed him on his lap.

"I don't know. Maybe when you get older. Daddy is going on an important work call."

"Okay," Carl sighed. He got off David's lap and went back to his mum. "Mummy?"

"Yes dear?"

"What you doing?"

"I'm talking to your grandma."

"Gra'ma?"

"Yes dear?"

"Can I 'ave ice cream?"

"Why don't you ask your mummy?"

Carl gestured for Anna to come closer. "'Cause mummy always said no."

Anna and Becca laughed at Carl. His attempt at whispering failed. "Carl, you can't have ice cream because the sun is not out."

"But mummy," Carl whined. When Carl went back David and Britney, Anna turned to Becca and smiled.

"So, twins, huh?"

"Yeah. Mum, I don't know what I'm gonna do." Tears glistened Becca's eyes. "I mean, what guy is gonna go out with someone who has three children? Especially at this age?"

"Honey, forget about boys for now. Just listen to me, I will help you, okay? You can stay here as long as you want."

"Thanks mum. I really missed you."

"It's okay, I missed you too. Don't ever do that again."

"I won't."

David smiled down at a sleeping Carl on his right side, and then Britney on his left. Becca came into the room and smiled. "Asleep already," she whispered. She took Carl from him and took him into a guest room.