4.

Matty guessed that the gas would disperse, and the dome would go down within a matter of days, but as it turned out, it only took one whole day. About twenty four hours after the dome appeared, a blast came from the ship and the dome was gone, no gasses left behind in its wake.

"Do we do it now?" Tony asked. "Or do we need to wait until daylight?"

Brock and Brent conferred, then nodded with each other. "Let's move out in twenty minutes." Brock announced to the group.

Most everyone was ready to get the hell down from here anyway. At least before, we had been moving, on a constant mission of getting to the top of the mountain, or getting down, but sitting still for a whole day, right on the end of the end of the world, freezing, was taking a toll on all of us.

Will and Jeremy were constantly at each other's throats. Tony, Lisa, and Kaylin had spent the last twenty four hours crying, which I get, but at the same time I'm not trying to think about what has happened down there. I'm trying to focus on the now, as in what the hell do we do now, and their constant tears are reminders of the loss that is surrounding us. Matty and Dani have been friendly, but they both have a habit of talking too much. They are the type of people who can't understand a comfortable silence, they think every moment must be filled with words, which pisses off Fred to no end, since he is all about silence and is very much stuck in his own head. Aside from them, Brent and Brock isolate themselves, always sitting just out of ear shot of the group, and I have been watching them closely.

"Do you think they'd ditch us?" I asked Tommy while we paced a few steps away from everyone else, waiting on them to get their stuff together.

Tommy looked down at me then back over to Brock and Brent. "Brent maybe, but I don't think Brock would." He said shaking his head.

I pursed my chapped lips and frowned. "I don't know, don't you think it would be better for them to work alone." I said. "I mean think about it, if you and I were experts on survival and mountain climbing and we got stuck with a huge group of people who have no clue, don't you think it would be best for us to split off?"

"I mean, I guess." Tommy agreed, but then he grabbed my hand. "I don't think they'll do that though. I get what you are saying, and how that could be better for them, but if that gas really did kill...everyone, then they'll need us. How long do you really think two men like them can survive alone? If we're really the last of the whole freaking human race, we'll have to stick together."

I glanced back at the two of them, standing close, whispering to each other. I just couldn't shake the feeling that they were making plans without us, but at the same time, I realize Tommy and I might look like we're doing the same thing.

The others all sat around the small fire, relishing in it as much as they can since we will have to put it out soon and start trekking down the possibly radioactive mountain slops. Jeremy glanced up, his eyes catching mine and he sighed as he stood up, adjusting his pack on his back while he walked towards me.

"Hey, Row, can I talk to you for a second?" He asked, giving Tommy a look that meant for him to back off for a minute.

"I guess." I shrugged, knowing he wasn't actually asking.

Tommy made a face behind Jeremy's back as he went to sit with his brother by the fire. "I wanted to talk to you about what you said yesterday." He sighed.

I shook my head. "I didn't mean anything by it, Jer." I told him. "I was just upset."

"I get that, but you do know I would never abandon you, right? You're all I've got left, I just wanted to make sure you'd be safe." He said gently.