37.

Exiter's Capitol

Lost again.

How could they possibly be lost again?

Alexandrea Morten sat in her office, staring down at the file on this Kayneplexisa and his star crossed lover. How can the two of them, a worthless Mundi and an insignificant human girl, cause so much trouble? And for what? Love?

Alexandrea laughs to herself. Love. That stupid little word created by stupid little people so many billions of years ago. Love isn't real. It's only a chemical in their brains, and yet this people would give anything and do anything to protect it. It was nonsensical.

They'd been so close to catching them again. We had their location narrowed down. We'd had them boxed in, and yet still they survive. A smile stretches across her lovely face as she remembers the pictures of the bodies stained black and red in the snow that had been left behind by their efforts. They hadn't been entirely unsuccessful indeed, but the dead bodies she wanted to see hadn't been there.

They'd vanished.

It wasn't possible, and yet, they were there and then they weren't. Alexandrea slaps her hands on her ugly desk. "Stupid." She shouts. "It's all stupid!"

One of her door guards steps in, looking worried. "Your Excellency?"

"Get out!" She screams and he jumps to leave the room and close the door back behind him.

Alexandrea pushes away from her desk and turns to look out the large bay windows. Everything beyond is hers, she thought to herself. It all belongs to her. For the first time since leaving, she misses her mother. Maybe miss is a strong word though, she wishes she were here only because she always knew best how to deal with trouble. She'd not have let them disappear on her. She'd have dragged them back here by their hair herself. That was the only good thing about her mother. She was tougher than nails and would do anything to protect Alexandrea's destiny.

"My destiny." She grits out, placing a cold hand to the glass. That was her mother's downfall. Not recognizing that this, all of this, was Alex's destiny, not hers.

Alexandrea steals herself. She will figure this out on her own, and her people will fall to their knees in worship of her. She is the chosen one. She is the one who was promised to lead them to this land. But it is also she who is going to see it through. These rebels don't just threaten the new world or the way of life. They threaten her personally. They want to ruin her, to erase her blessed name from history, but she won't allow it. Somehow, she will make them fall, and they will feel her wrath.

A commotion at the front gates catches Alexandrea's eye and she moves closer to the window as hordes of her guards rush the gates and surround someone, or maybe two someones.

She shoves away from the window, her heels clicking across the floor. She pushes the door open. "Out of my way." She screeches at the men who jump to her aid. She needs this to be good. She needs this to be them. Maybe they finally decided to turn themselves in. It could be happening again.

Just the thought makes her smile brightly and her heart pound in her chest as she rushes through the hallways. The first time the idiot fell for the girl, it was just the two of them. They couldn't survive on their own and eventually they came back here. The boy wanted to protect her at first, she was sick and he needed help with her, and though we promised them no harm when they passed through the gates, within the hour the boy was implemented with a new chip and the girl was strapped into Alexandrea's chair.