29.

"Wake up, sleepy one."

I rolled over with a groan, the coldness ran deep through my bones and I just wanted to stay asleep. At least in my dreams the cold wasn't real, not like now.

"No." I whispered, burrowing deeper into the blanket.

Kayne chuckled softly and I almost smiled except for the fact that the wind rustled the whole tent and I went with crying on the inside instead. I peeked one eye open and found Kayne, he'd clearly been up for a while because he'd changed his clothes, bundled back up in thicker coats, and he had one his hat already with a protein bar dangling from his lips.

He bit off a big bite, chewing slowly as he read over the map in his hands that I was sure he already had memorized backwards and forwards. He was a meticulous planner, but right now it looked more obsessive.

"Come on, Rowan." He urged again, following a path on the map with his gloved index finger. "I know you don't want to go but we've got to keep up with the others and they'll be ready to go any minute. You need to eat."

My stomach grumbled in agreement and I snaked one hand out of the covers to grab the rest of the bar he'd been eating and snuck back under the blankets with it. "I'm eating." I grumbled.

"Have you always been so bubbly in the mornings or was this a hostile takeover thing?" He mused, folding the map back up and tucking it into the side pocket of one of our bags.

I hid my smirk.

Definitely wasn't a new thing, me hating mornings. Not that I'm particularly bubbly any time of day, but you're quite likely to end up with a few sharp glares and harsh insults if you mess with me too early in the morning. Night time has always been my prime time, but now I'm too exhausted to ever enjoy that either. By dusk I'm usually begging for the comfort of sleep.

"Not new." I told him, pushing the empty wrapper back out of the blankets.

"I didn't think so." He grinned, taking the trash from me and replacing it with a mug of water. "What did you dream about?" He asked suddenly, throwing me off from the sip I was taking a cursed drop runs down my chin and I'm not even being dramatic I think it froze to my skin.

"Huh?" I wipe the coldness away, finally giving up my fight to stay in the blankets. I knew Kayne needed to get the tent packed away so that meant I had to quit being an annoying little ass and get out of his way.

The moment I'm freed from the covers Kayne is there pulling a giant sweater over my head and then passing me my parka as I slide out of the way for him to roll up the blankets and put them back in their bags.

"Last night, you kept murmuring to yourself while you slept." He said distracted now by the last of the packing. "I wondered what you were dreaming about."

I shrugged my shoulders and thought hard. I didn't really remember my dreams, which was pretty normal. I knew I had them, and every now and then there'd be one that stuck with me enough to remember it into the next morning, but usually they faded away into nothing, only coming out to hit me with some déjà vu later on.

"I don't remember, why? Did it sound bad?" I could only imagine it would have been a nightmare. I didn't usually sleep with other people, and whenever I did have the rare sleepover, I'd never been told I do anything embarrassing in my sleep like talk or snore or get up and walk around the house buck naked. My cheeks got hot just thinking what things I might have said or done last night. I'd been too exhausted to be worried about it when I'd fallen asleep, but I was wide awake now.

Kayne leaned over and pressed a kiss to my head, easing a little of the worry. But only a little. "It wasn't bad." He said, unzipping the tent and letting the god forsaken cold air in. "You seemed to be having a good dream actually, you were laughing."