22.

"Please!" Kayne shouted, his eyes begging. The sound of his voice instantly put my feet below me moving in his direction. My need to ease the strain in his voice overpowering the fear that told me to stay put.

As Jeremy's hand gripped my upper arm, yanking me back into line with the others, I saw that Kayne's plead didn't have the same effect on our guest as it did on me. The man held KaRayna tighter, her beautiful face turning a strange blueish red as his hand nearly crushed her windpipe down into the floor.

The moment seemed frozen.

Everything was happening around us, and I knew it must have been loud and frantic in that little lobby, but in my head everything was slow motion. KaRayna's blue lips grappled around a scream that wouldn't come out as Kayne dropped to his knees, his hands raised up high.

The man's eyes darted around like a terrified animal. "I won't." Were his simple words, as his hand shook around the gun, his finger lingering scarily close to the trigger.

I jumped at the sound of the blast, a high scream peeling its way up my body and out of my lips as time suddenly lurched forward. Flashes of images played out before my eyes, blocking my view of what had happened.

Kayne as he lingered over me, my mask in his hand, "beautiful." He'd said.

Kayne running, leaving me to the wrath of my group, before turning back. A look in his strange sea foam green eyes. "For you."

Kayne as he brushed hair away from my face before leaning down to kiss me. "It's you."

"You killed him!"

The statement shattered my memories, replacing the images of Kayne's beautiful face with the bloody scene before me.

To my left, Matty stood pale faced and shaking, the gun in his hands still pointed down at the ground where a mass of a man was collapsed and bleeding from the back of the head over the top of a near tears KaRayna.

Dani rushed forward to her husband, pulling him back and taking the gun from his trembling hands. "I had to." He repeated over and over as Dani pulled him close to her, running her hands over his body and through his hair, seeming to take stock that her husband was ok.

"Shhh." She whispered to him. "I know you did."

Everyone was shouting, some crying, others pacing, hands over their mouths.

But Kayne was still in the same spot, uninjured, on his knees on the ground, his eyes staring blankly at the man as KaRayna pushed out from under his body and stood to her own feet, looking down on his with the same blankness as Kayne.

"You killed him." Kayne whispered again.

"What was the man supposed to do?" Brock shouted over the buzz of noise in the room. "He was about to kill the both of you. Were we supposed to wait to see what would happen?" Brock shook his fiery red locks and glared across the room at Kayne.

Kayne leaned forward onto his hands, I wanted to go to him, comfort him, but Jeremy held me firmly back. Kayne crawled on his hands and knees over to the body and KaRayna lowered herself back down at him as well.

They both reached out one hand, placing them on the center of the man's chest and bowed their heads. "In life and in death." Kayne whispered. "I'm sorry, friend." He added even quieter, and KaRayna glanced over at him silently.

Brock pushed forward. "Friend?" He demanded, red cheeks matching his hair. "That man wanted to kill you both where you stood. Would have had it not been for Matty, and you call him friend?" Brock backed up on his heels. "Maybe this was a bad idea. I shouldn't have come back."