12.

"What the hell was that?" Brent snapped. Kayne stood motionless, his striking sea foam green eyes looking glassy as he stared at the blank screen. "Hello, what the shit was that message?" He asked again, Brent's voice getting angrier with every passing second. "Have you been lying to us?" He demanded, reaching to grab him by the neck, but Matty and Tommy interjected themselves and separated the two.

"Let him talk!" Tommy shouted, surprising me with his sudden assertiveness.

Brent was red as a tomato, but he didn't fight back against the men who held him back.

I took the moment to pull Kayne aside slightly, noticing the chill bumps that were covering his arms and neck. "Talk to me." I urged him quietly, hoping he'd focus on me, but he remained stone faced. I bit my lip, glancing over my shoulder to where Jeremy, Tommy, Matty, and Brent were arguing while the girls, Will, Fred, and Donny were huddled near the door talking in quiet tones. "Kayne, tell me what you're thinking." Again my words did nothing to break through to him, so desperate times called for desperate measures. I reached up, cupping his face in my hands and I tilted his face down, demanding his attention. "Kayne?" I whispered his name again.

Finally, the glaze over his eyes seemed to fade as he blinked fast, his gaze starting to burn into my eyes. He shook his head slightly, then he sighed, heavy and deep. "I think..." He couldn't finish.

"Just tell me." I told him, feeling that others were starting to notice us talking. I was tempted to let go of his face but I was afraid he'd clam back up if I did.

"I didn't lie to you all." He said loud enough for everyone, but looking only into my eyes. I fought back against the urge to move out of the intensity of it and nodded for him to go on. "Before...Before we came here, I and all of the other Mundi went through extensive training. There were classes and journals to study and all of them had a very simple guideline to follow." He took a deep breath. "Like I told you all, I was to carry out my mission, make sure I cleaned up any issues, then I was to stay in my sector until the time had passed to where I would be no risk to my fellow people. They aren't supposed to be coming for us Mundi for months." He shook his head. "All the journals...." He tried to continue, but he furrowed his brows, then his mouth slacked slightly before he snapped it shut and backed out of my reach. "Of course!" He shouted.

I watched in confusion as he stomped over to the other side of the room and punched the wall as hard as he could.

"Stop!" I yelled at him as his fist easily went through the thin drywall.

Brock and Jeremy rushed over to him, restraining him before he had the chance to send his fist back through the wall. "Dude, stop! Get it together!" Jer yelled.

"I've been so blind! All of my people are so blind!" His voice was panicked and I hated the sound of it. He'd been the calm one, the one who seemed confident still in this world with only a handful of surviving people who all have no clue. Losing the last person with some level of sanity was like losing hope all over again.

"What do you mean, son?" Matty asked, trying to keep a calm stance as he approached Kayne where Brock and Jeremy had managed to get him to sit on the bed.

"The journals!" He shouted, then dropped his head into his hands. "They all stopped after the completion of their missions. I never questioned why, because why would I? This was supposed to be humane and routine. I thought I would just follow the plans and everything would go as promised."

"Tell us what you mean in terms that we will understand." Will groaned from the other side of the room. "Why do they want to see you and the...Mundi sooner than planned? Why is that such a bad thing?"