Chapter 25.

Winter seemed to pass quickly, and it wasn't long before the sun returned and the snows began to melt, leaving behind lush green fields with bursts of colour as the flowers started to bloom. Everyone in the manor seemed to relax as the cold, dark atmosphere of the winter months slowly drew back from the oncoming wall of spring.

*****

Slumping forwards at his desk, Ciel sighed and pushed his paperwork away with the end of his pen, bored of reading and writing.
“Sebastian… I’m bored. Let’s go out somewhere. I don’t think I can stand the sight of another pointless document.”

He said, sounding like the sullen, moody teenager he had become. In a moment Sebastian appeared at his master’s side.

“Hm. Then shall I prepare a picnic? We could take lunch to the downs and eat there. The spring flowers are already in bloom and the weather is surprisingly warm.”

The Earl’s azure eye lit up, and he smiled a little.
“Yes, let’s. Make sure you have some cake in the basket too.”

Though he knew the demon would go fully stocked with sweets and desserts of all shapes and sizes, Ciel couldn’t help but make the request. With a chuckle the raven haired male smirked and bowed his head.

“Yes, My Lord.”

*****

Dressed in appropriate attire for an outing, Ciel stepped out of the manor and into the waiting carriage where Sebastian sat ready with the reins in hand. A large hamper sat in the back, filled with a wide assortment of food and drink.

"Are you ready to leave, My Lord?" said the demon, not turning around.

"I am. Let's go."
A sharp flick of the reins and the horses trotted off, heading for the verdant rolling hills of the downs nearby.

The pair spent the journey mostly in silence, apart from the odd comment here and there on the weather.

*****

"I have a decent selection of cakes and sweets for you, Ciel. Take your pick."

Sebastian smiled warmly and brought out a large platter of cakes, baked in almost every shape, size, colour and flavour one could think of. Eyeing them hungrily Ciel took the largest chocolate one before he'd even finished his sandwiches.

"Thank you. They look wonderful, as always." the Earl replied with a smirk, already getting chocolate buttercream on his fingers and lips. He dug in and ate it delicately but with speed, obviously enjoying it immensely.
Finishing his cake, Ciel licked the chocolate from his fingers and sighed happily.

"It's warm, isn't it?" he said and, taking the hint, Sebastian stepped over to remove his master's coat. He was wearing a short sleeved shirt underneath but he removed his waistcoat anyway, then the boy had his shoes and socks off too. Sitting down on the grass Ciel leaned back with a smile. 

"Sebastian... Come on, sit down for a while. There's no need to stand around like that."
With a bow of his head the demon removed his tailcoat, then sat down beside Ciel. Playfully the young Lord Phantomhive pushed the raven haired male down onto his back and then shuffled over to his side, drawing his knees up to his chest. The pair smiled at one another and, just for once, Sebastian removed his gloves. Reaching over he ran a finger lightly across the boy's elbow.

"This is rather nice. And you look so wonderfully adorable..."
He chuckled, and Ciel joined him.

"Shut up. I'm not cute."

"Hm. I say otherwise."
Crossing his arm behind his head, Sebastian gazed fondly at the boy he had grown to love ever more over the past six years, though the feeling was one that still had a strange warmth blossoming in his chest and sent it tingling through his veins.

*****

"Sebastian... I love you."

"I love you too, Ciel."

Butler and master lay side by side, the latter curled up in the demon's arms while they watched the stars turn overhead. The night was mild with just the faintest breeze to play over their skin, and the sky was so clear that it looked like a million diamonds had been scattered across a giant piece of blue silk. The raven haired male leaned down and pressed his lips to those of the boy he held, kissing him deeply. They had stayed out all afternoon and well into the evening, with only a brief break for Ciel's dinner. Neither of them cared much for the idea of going back to the manor and sleeping just yet; they were content out in the open, spending some time in each other's company. At first the Earl had been concerned they would be seen, but after Sebastian had thoroughly checked the area and found it to be deserted he relaxed and truly began to enjoy himself.
Without hesitation Ciel kissed Sebastian back, snuggling into his chest as he was pulled closer into a warm embrace.

After a short while it was Ciel who broke the kiss, and after the contact had ended he laid his head on his lover's chest and sighed softly with contentment.

"My last night... My last night as who I have been. I'm glad I can spend it like this, here with you." he murmured, a faint smile curving the corners of his lips as he stared out over the hills with mismatched eyes.

"We will be able to spend many more nights like this, Ciel... When it is done we will have eternity together."

Nodding, the Earl shifted his gaze to look the demon straight in the eye, and violet and blue met crimson.

"Will it hurt, Sebastian?"
The raven haired male blinked and drew breath to reply, then he hesitated and the silence was dragged out for a little longer.

"That is one thing I don't know. I will be as gentle as possible, but I have no idea what it will feel like. I'm sorry."

Ciel shook his head and smiled a little.

"It's fine. I'm not afraid of pain; I was just curious."

With a slight nod, a reassured Sebastian gave the boy's shoulders a gentle squeeze. They both looked back up at the sky, gazing into the vast expanse of the night.