Chapter Nine

When it's over, leave. Don't keep watering a dead flower.

We enjoyed the rest of our ice cream, with occasional bittersweet comments and remarks

We enjoyed the rest of our ice cream, with occasional bittersweet comments and remarks. I guess that each one of us was no longer particularly interested in the relationship. And, I knew that Aiden was still in it for the popularity.

He knew that if he dumped me, it would go down very ugly. Everything would turn against him, and he'd be the one to be embarrassed. Not me.

He knew that if he dumped me, his life would be made a living hell. It'd be made into a living hell by me.

My thoughts drifted away from Aiden, and started revolving around the girl. The girl who I would have least expected, the one who had enough guts to do such a thing. How could she even think that she'd get away with this?

When did this even happen? How was I not even aware of it until recently?

I knew that technically, Aiden was the one who was cheating. He was the one who had done wrong. But the girl knew who she was dealing with. She knew that Aiden belonged to me.

Or at least, he used to.

Aiden broke my thoughts, "Shall we get going? I have to start on my photography project. My camera's at home, and anyway, I thought I'd use Emma as my subject."

I finished my ice cream, and put the spoon back into the glass bowl. I licked my lips, "Sure. I have to start to my art project too. I got my topic, by the way."

We both stood up, and walked towards the door. Aiden walked a little faster, and opened the door for me, "Oh yeah? What is it?" He could be such a gentleman when he wanted to be.

I walked out the door, and waited for him to be by my side again, before speaking, "Well, I actually got the most cliche topic you could ask for. It's love in the modern world. This is going to take up the whole of my first term grade, I don't know how I'll get ideas on this. I mean, ideas that are original. I want it to be different."

"Hmm.. Well, I guess you could paint a couple."

"Yea, because that's so original." I replied, shrugging my shoulders and shaking my head.

He scratched his head, and then said, "It really just depends what you paint I guess. It could be cliche, like a couple standing in the rain, or it could be something different, like you said."

I sighed, "You're seriously no help."

He laughed and put his arm around me, "You asked me."

"So, what's your project about?"

He laughed again, "It's youth. Capturing youth in it's natural habitat. I thought I could take some pictures of Emma in the garden or something. Just let her be.. her.. you know?"