Chapter 12

/ 12 \

~Felix's POV~

Oh my God. Why did I do that? She hates me now! You idiot! I was laying in my bed, just thinking. I remembered everything about the kiss. Her lips were so soft. I wished I could have seen her expression under that mask... I hate that mask. I wish she would just take it off... My thoughts continued like this for a while. I couldn't seem to fall asleep. I just laid there, tossing and turning. I looked over at the clock. It took me a second before I could focus on the red glow that was the time. 1:17 AM. I ran my hand through my hair, then sat up, starting towards the kitchen. I made sure to be quiet, so I wouldn't wake Shadow. I rolled the name over in my thoughts. Shadow. Shadow. Shadow. I said it under my breath, repeating it until the word no longer had meaning. I knew that she would only tell someone her real name if she trusted them. I was glad she trusted me. Why does it mean so much to me that she trusts me? I wondered. I got to the kitchen and made myself some hot chocolate. My thoughts continued like that for a while until I finished my cocoa. I trudged back up the stairs to my room. I crawled back into my cool bedsheets and buried my head into the pillow. I didn't get a lot of rest that night. By that I mean I was thinking too much about Sh-Shadow. The next day, I woke up late, but I didn't really care. I'd gotten about an hour and a half of sleep last night. I got out of bed and stretched. I walked over to my closet and threw some clothes on. I wanted to peek into Shadow's room, but I figured she slept with her mask off. Honestly this just made me want to look more, but I didn't. I'd tried to see her face at the piano, but she ran away immediately. What was so bad about her face that she had to constantly hide? Why did she hide at home? Her parents knew what she looked like. Who was there for her to hide from? These questions bombarded my thoughts as I ate breakfast. I figured Shadow would be up by now, so I walked down the hallway to my guest room. I guess it wasn't my guest room anymore, huh? I reached for the knob, but thought better of it. If she was still asleep, I didn't want to see her with her mask off. Well, I did, but if she didn't want me to see her, I wouldn't try. I knocked on the door three times.

“Hold on, I need my mask!” Was the reply. I had the tiniest frown. I guess a small part of me hoped she wouldn't have her mask on.

“Okay, you can come in now.”

I opened the door. Shadow was sitting on her bed with her laptop. I gave her a guilty look.

“Look, Shadow, I'm really sorry for- you know. I honestly didn't do it on purpose. It just kind of happened.” I apologized.

“Felix, really, it's okay. You can stop apologizing.”

“Sorry.”

“Felix. Really?”

“Sorry.”

“Stop.”

“Sor-” I stopped myself. I decided to move to the question I desperately wanted to ask.

“Shadow... Why do you wear that mask?”

She froze for a second.

“Wh-What?” She stuttered. I admit, I felt bad for catching her off guard like that. But I wanted to know.

“Why do you wear it?” I asked softly. Shadow looked down. I waited. She still didn't say anything. We stayed quiet for another minute before I broke the silence.

“I'm sorry for asking. I shouldn't have; It wasn't my place.” I said, looking at my feet.

“It's alright, Felix.” Shadow said, shaking her head. “I just know you wouldn't take it well. Why I wear my mask, I mean.”

I nodded.

“And that's not why I'm upset.”

I looked back up at her.