Chapter Three

~Autumn~

I listen to the boiling kettle as I think about my dream last night. I didn't get much sleep after that, drifting in and out of slumber wasn't really fun as the only thing I saw was darkness in that period of time. I couldn't help but ponder about what ever that dream could mean.

My train of thoughts got interrupted by the high-pitched whistle of the kettle. I drop the teabag and a packet of sugar into a mug. I slurp as I head to the living room, still deep in thought.

I look around the room for a distraction. My eyes landed on a picture of me and my friends celebrating my 24th birthday. Like an over-thinking mind at its best, my mind reverts back to my 10th birthday:

The boy that I would always see at my window was there again. He knew I was sad and lonely, my parents were still fighting even if it was my birthday. I opened the window and let him in, I never thought it was a bad idea because he was the only company I had. We talked for hours as my parents fought, when I would get scared he turns to me and hugs me in a comforting way.

Through the second hour of talking, he spotted my ukulele. Then, he taught me the basic chords and soon enough - a song. Can't Help Falling In Love was the title of the song and I don't know why but he said he could relate to it. Along with the subject of love, I had no idea about that emotion but I sure did feel kind of weird with him; butterflies was all over my stomach every time he would look at me - it's hard to explain really.

My parents soon heard me playing the ukulele and they stopped fighting. The boy ran out the window right before my parents entered. They asked me to play it but I refused to, so the result of my shyness to my parents was a beating from my dad. He was bipolar and it was one of the things that ruined my childhood.

I snap back into reality, a chill runs down my spine as the vibe of the room changed. I set down my mug and take a second to glance around the room.

"Twinkle, twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are"

I gasp. I shoot up from my seat, my eyes landing on a wind up doll, waddling out of the corner. With trembling hands I walk towards the doll and pick it up. I examine the doll, it's a boy, curly hair and pale green eyes. My eyes widen in fear, it looks like the boy that I always see outside my window.

*BANG*

A loud roar of pots and pans bounce around the house making me drop the doll. My heart begins to race, I tiptoe to the kitchen, grabbing a baseball bat in the process. Once my bare foot touched the cold kitchen tiles, my senses have raised. I see no one. I hold the bat up, ready to swing. I turn around, facing the living room. I can no longer see the doll, my eyebrows knit together in confusion as I walk back to the living room.

The doll is no where to be seen. I look around the floor while my heart begins to beat faster than it already was. I bring my hands to either side of my face.

Please don't be my schizophrenia, I've been clear for years..

I race up the stairs and take a turn towards the bathroom. I open the cupboard behind the mirror and take out the container of my medication. I lightly push the mirror back and look at my reflection. My eyes widen, I look at the wall behind me.

Scarlet red blood is dripping from the wall. Two lines were drawn next to the stain of blood. I grasp the bottle of meds and run to my bedroom, I snatch the bottle of water from my bed stand and hide under my blanket. I take two out of the bottle and gulp it down with water. I sit there in silent terror, waiting for the side effects to take over.

Soon enough, my vision was starting to cloud and turn a little blurry, a wave of relaxation passed through me and I finally felt safe.

I close the bottle of medication and slowly walk back to the bathroom. I turn the lights on and enter. Looking left to right, everything looks untouched, the walls are clean and no blood seems evident anywhere.

I check the kitchen, nothing seems weird. I circle the kitchen, my foot is greeted by a cold piece of silverware. I look down; two forks.. strange, don't remember dropping these..

Could this mean something.?