Chapter Four

~Autumn~

I throw the blanket off my body as I swing my legs to the edge of the bed. I stretch my arms as I stand up and yawn. I pick up my bath towel and other things and pad over to my bathroom.

I turn the shower on as I listen to the drops of water beat down onto the tiles. Stepping in as soon as the water started to steam up. I hum one of Dodie's songs as I continue to wash off my body.

I hop out the shower and wrap a fluffy towel around my body. I am hugged by the cool air the moment I step out of the bathroom. I run to my closet and pull out a pair of black skinny jeans and a plain white shirt.

After I groom myself in attempt to look decent, I pick up my backpack and throw in a bottle of water, a notebook, a pen and my trusty ukulele. I shove my phone into my pocket and grab my penny board, speeding out my door once I've made sure everything was sorted.

I cruise down the road that leads to the nearby park but stopping to buy a sandwich, I hand the cake-faced cashier my money and leave, I paid the exact amount anyway.

I set my board down and look around the area. Something caught my eye, I saw a forest not so far from here. It looked pretty peaceful from what I could see, I hop on and race towards it. The wind blew through my hair while I cruised my way to the forest.

The dropped the board once more and pushed onto the asphalt ground to cruise forward. I relax my body as the wind blows through my hair and the only sound I could hear are the wheels of my board.

A few minutes later, I have arrived.

My eyes locked on the tallest tree there. I zip up my jacket and brace myself, I climb up the tree with no struggle. I stop by a wide branch, resting my back on the trunk, I pull out my notebook and pen and jot down plot ideas for books I would wish to write as I take a big bite out of my sandwich.

Writing was always an escape for me, ever since the boy disappeared I had to find something to distract me. I tried everything in the book but I finally came across writing. Poetry and stories, it was so magical for me as I had the freedom in writing, the freedom of having the power to make a story the way I wanted it to go. Unlike my life. 

I sigh and shove the notebook and pen back into the bag. I smile as I pull my ukulele out, while finding things to distract myself, I turned back to my ukulele and kept on playing one of the first songs I learnt on this. I press the chords in a pattern of Em, G, C, G onto the fretboard and strum softly. I close my eyes and reminisce the few good times I have kept in my memories. 

I am pulled out of my sweet daydream by crunching of branches beneath me. Fear taking a visit, I shrug it off thinking it was just a rodent wandering around. I fish out my phone to check the time, 1:05 pm the white numbers indicated on my screen. I climb down from the tree, landing safely.

I plug in my earphones and play for him. by Troye Sivan as I cruise my way back home.

. . .

I hop off my board and pull out my keys. I step on the front door mat and I feel something weird under my shoe, out of curiosity, I look down. Beneath the sole of my shoe I saw a  £1 coin, heads up. I pick it up, checking the other side; the number 1 was written on it with a sharpie. I furrow my eyebrows and just drop it into my pocket.

I cook myself a plate of lunch in silence. I scroll through my Twitter feed as I spoon heaps of mashed potatoes into my mouth. Once I've finished, I place my plate into the dishwasher.

The sun rays beamed through my windows, I look out and admire the neighborhood as the golden light spoke a lot for this quiet area. I step out my door and stand on my grass, I close my eyes as I felt the warmth of the sun,

Breathe in,

Breathe out.

Times like this are the moments I treasure. I never always feel at peace but when I do, I savor it to the last minute. My eyes flutter open, I am met by a butterfly flying it's way around my small front yard, it lands on a dandelion that was laying on the ground. 

Weird, I wonder where that came from..?

I pick it up as soon as the butterfly fled from it. I hold it up to my face and make a silent wish,

"I hope I won't be so lonely anymore.."

I blew the dandelion and watched as the tiny parts danced in the wind. I smile, walking back inside to continue on with the usual.