Chapter Eleven

~Autumn~

My sleeves are damp from wiping the tears that have been running down my face. Upon minutes of aimlessly cruising through the path in the middle of the woods, everything is beginning to look familiar. I look to my right to see the tallest tree here, is this where I was a few days ago?

I skate further down the path and I could finally see buildings. A wave of tears coat my eyes once more; is this what I wanted? Yes, I've been set free but it feels so wrong; I feel empty. I shake off the feeling, I know I'll be back there soon. 

After skating down the road, I spot the park; at least I'm at a familiar place now. I cruise through the city with bottled up tears and feelings.

Five minutes have passed and I'm finally in my neighborhood. I jump off the longboard and pick it up, deciding to run the rest of the way. Right when I step on my doormat I search my bag for my keys. While doing so, I noticed that PJ had added a bottle of water and some snacks in my bag.

"Peej," I whisper, it's nice to know that he still cares after all those years.

Once I finally found the key, I immediately unlocked the door and run inside. My first destination was the bathroom, instantly stripping off my clothes and turning on the shower. I put my head down, letting the water soak my hair as I reflect on what happened for the past 4 days.

I change into fresh new clothes but I put PJ's sweater back on. I don't bother to put on makeup, I just tie my hair and grab the longboard and rush out the door once more.

I hop on the board and push onto the asphalt road to the direction of my mother's house. After each second passes, anger builds up more and more inside of me. I still cannot believe she lied to me, especially about a mental illness.

I drag my foot on the ground making the board come to a halt. I pick it up and knock on my mother's door with pure anger. A few seconds later, I hear shuffling on the other side. The moment mom sees me, a surprised look grazes her face. I walk past her, into the house.

"What's happening, dear?" the aging woman says as she closes the front door. My breathing pace quickens from rage as she steps closer to me.

"Why?" I said in a low voice, she seems muddled by my statement. She rests her hand on my arm 

"Why did you lie to me? About my schizophrenia" I say as I jerk my arm out of her grip. She tries to remain calm but fear is still evident on her face.

"What are you talking about? I have no idea-" a shaky voice was all I heard from her, nervous indeed.

"I saw him." I cut her off. 

"I saw the boy at my window again. He's real, mom. I just want to know why you lied to me!" she steps back at my words. I've caught her red handed.

"I think you have to sit down for this,"

. . . 

I stare straight ahead as my mother insisted on readying tea. She sets down a mug in front of me but I just look at it in anger. This shit can't calm me down. Not this time,

"Tell me," I say as I try to hold in my rage. She let out a sigh of defeat and leans back on her seat.

"Me and PJ's mother were really good friends, so when we were both pregnant we talked about how we wanted you two to..." she trailed off,

"to be together," she said in shame. I grit my teeth, I keep in the words to the end of her explanation

"We talked about how you will meet; she'll leave him in front of our house and he will see me and your father fighting. Now, PJ is a really caring boy, so as planned, he looked around and he saw you."

"But as the years went on, both of you seemed too obsessed with each other; we didn't want that. So I told PJ's mom to take him away and I will just tell you that it was all your imagination." she put her head down in guilt

"What about my medication?" I ask

"That was simply vitamin pills but they were specifically made for you, so that your vision will get cloudy and you'll think it's working" her voice faded to silence. That was the only thing we could hear for the next few seconds; really loud silence.

I shake my head at her, I gather my things and stand up. I look at her in disgust.

"How could a mother lie to her own daughter like that? I've never felt so betrayed. As I thought you were the only one I could trust in this world; I guess I was wrong." I begin to walk to the door. I hear her soft footsteps follow behind me, I grasp the knob and turn to her.

"I would appreciate if you would never come in contact with me anymore, Karen." I say as I swing my body out the door and slam it close. I drop the board and quickly skate back home. I will never look at her as a mother anymore.

I guess the only one I can actually trust is PJ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a/n: I know schizophrenia is something very serious. But remember, this is a book. Any violent comments/reactions regarding to this topic will not be acknowledged/appreciated and will be reported.