Chapter 7

The next morning, I woke up very early. After having slept so much the day before, I was full of energy and wanted to make sure that I would be at breakfast on time. I couldn't deal with any more of Katie's anger.

I got to the cafeteria with ten minutes to spare, but noticed a line already forming at the steam table. Silently, I took my place in line, going completely unnoticed. At least until I felt a heavy arm sling around my shoulder.

"Hey, you! How'd you sleep?" Ashton greeted with a lazy smile.

"I slept very well, thanks."

"I must have worn you out, then," he chuckled, tousling my hair.

Unconsciously, I leaned in to him, smiling before I caught myself. I couldn't get attached. I needed to stop treating Ashton like we were friends or mates. He was probably just greeting me before he went to sit with his other girls.

I shrugged his arm off as we began to fill our plates with food, immediately feeling the loss of his warmth. He just played it off and hummed a little tune to himself. 

"Will you come sit with me? I'll introduce you to my friends," Ashton asked after we had gotten our food. I simply nodded, not knowing where else to sit. I could eat in the courtyard again, but if I kept that up, the isolation would slowly start to eat at me.

A warmth spread from my lower back and settled in my chest when Ashton's hand hovered just behind the small of my back as he led me to his table. I wanted to wiggle my butt back to force his hand to make full contact, but that would be inappropriate. 

Ashton smiled widely as we approached his table. He always seemed to be smiling. I was really starting to admire this boy who was so full of joy and kindness.

"Hey, everyone. This is Olivia. She's new here. Olivia, these are my friends."

Ashton went around the table introducing his friends one by one. 

Hannah, the olive skinned, raven haired beauty with warm eyes the color of chocolate.

Allie, who, from her hips to her hair, was all curves. She exuded sensuality.

Eve, the flame haired girl with cheek bones graced with countless freckles. She seemed to be kissed by the sun.

Marcus, who was chiseled like a statue. Everything from his jawline to his biceps was strong, defined lines. He was attractive, and he knew it based on his arrogant posture.

I felt inadequate next to them, to say the least. Fighting the urge to curl in on myself and hide my imperfections from these visions of beauty, I took the seat next to Ashton and began eating. The group began to converse, and politely attempted to include me in their dialogue, but my mind kept wandering.

Were any of these girls one of Ashton's other breeding partners? It hurt to think of him with any one of them. They were all so gorgeous and perfect, and more than likely willing to put out. How could I compete with that?

You don't compete with it, I scolded myself. When you fail to produce offspring, you will be relocated and will never see him again. You can't even afford to be friends with the boy.

That didn't make the image any easier to deal with, though. The feeling of Ashton resting his hand on my arm and rubbing soothing circles into my skin calmed my frayed mind. Why was he doing that? I wouldn't complain, though, because somehow, his touch was helping me keep my grip on sanity.

After breakfast was finished, I was unsure of what to do with myself. I didn't have to go to the doctor again until next week. What did everyone do between now and lunch?