Chapter 18

"Do you hear that?"

I stilled my breathing and listened carefully. At first there was nothing, but after a few seconds, I heard a quiet roar. It was as if something was thundering, but way off in the distance.

My heart raced as I processed everything that that sound could be. Maybe it was a plane searching for signs of us in the air. Or, maybe that was the sound of thousands of soldiers marching towards us.

I had to get a grip on myself before I let my ridiculous imagination wander any further. I seriously doubted that our pack had any planes, and if they did, we wouldn't be seen under the protection of the trees surrounding us. It was also highly unlikely that so many soldiers would be expended to search for us. Besides, I should be able to smell them by now if that were the case. And instead of the putrid scent of thousands of exerting bodies, I faintly caught a fresh yet crisp scent.

"I don't think that it's a threat, but we should check it out," I whispered to Ashton. He agreed with me and we went about repacking our belongings silently.

Ashton insisted on leading the way, and we trekked through the forrest as quietly as possible. The roar remained steady, only varying in that it grew louder as we got closer. Finally, as the noise was reaching a deafening level, we broke through the trees and lay our eyes on a beautiful sight.

Before us was a medium sized waterfall, which was the source of the thunderous noise. The small pond at the bottom was as clear as glass, and led to a slow moving river.

Ashton and I turned and grinned at each other. Excitement was coming off of him in waves.

"You up for a swim?" he asked.

I couldn't stop smiling. "Yeah that sounds perfect. And you smell like death. Days of running with no bath doesn't suit you. You could use a dip," I teased, making him laugh.

"I'm just going to check the area really quickly and make sure it's safe. You can go ahead and get jump in, though."

Ashton moved back into the trees, while I made my way to the water's edge and started to undress. I felt strangely exposed shedding my clothes in such an open area, so I quickly jumped into the pool.

The water was cool, nipping at my skin and giving me goosebumps. I soon adjusted, though, and made my way to the waterfall. Standing off to the side under a small stream, I relaxed and let the water wet my hair and wash away the dirt and grime that was caked on my skin.

When I opened my eyes, I saw Ashton staring at me intensely from the tree line with unusually dark eyes, making my stomach clench nervously.

Sorry, very short chapter. Hope you liked it, though!

Let me know what you think! :)