Chapter 20

We floated around languidly in the pool for a while. Fooling around had drained our energy. Well, it was mostly Ashton who was exhausted, but I definitely didn't mind relaxing for a while either. He was floating on his back drifting in and out of sleep while I leaned back against a rock and enjoyed the view.

This really was the most beautiful place I had ever been. The bright green leaves of the trees contrasted starkly with the clear blue water. And, the roar of the waterfall was the perfect white noise, pulling me into an almost comatose state. My eyes were struggling to stay open when a cold splash of water hit my face and caught me off guard.

I shrieked and turned my head to see Ashton scooping his hands in the water and preparing to splash me again, but before he had the chance, I dove under the water and propelled myself toward him. Kicking my leg out at the back of his knees and pulling his shoulders down, I knocked Ashton off balance and forced him under the water.

I kept him under for as long as I could, but I wasn't strong enough to hold him off for long. In a matter of seconds, his head broke through the surface of the water and he took in a huge gulp of air. I couldn't help but burst out laughing at the way his sopping wet hair dripped down his face.

"Oh, so you think that was funny?" He glared and me playfully then gave me a shit eating grin. I started backing away nervously.

"Sorry, sorry! It was an accident," I blatantly lied, and he was having none of it.

Ashton lunged at me and pulled me into his arms, but only so that he had leverage to throw me. I flew up a few feet in the air before falling backwards into the water. I had just resurfaced and sucked in a big breath of air when he grabbed me and threw me once again.

This time when I resurfaced, I raised both of my hands in a gesture of surrender.

"I give up. I give up! You win!" I panted, struggling to catch my breath while laughing.

Ashton stroked his chin thoughtfully. "Hmm. But how do I know that I can trust you? I'm gonna need a gesture of good will"

I snorted. "And what kind of gesture will you accept?"

"I don't know. You're really going to have to convince me," he said, stalking toward me.

I continued to back away, pretending to be afraid. "Please, I'll do anything. Just spare me!"

Ashton once again jumped at me and pulled me into his arms, but this time instead of launching me into the air, he pulled my mouth to his for a searing kiss. I surrendered myself to him with that kiss, and he knew it.

We spent the next few hours that way: splashing each other, kissing, and lounging around in the water. By the time we got out, both of us looked like absolute prunes.

I grabbed his hand and held it close to my face, squinting and pretending to examine it closely. "Now that I know what you'll look like when you're an old grandpa, I might have to rethink this whole running away with you thing."

He gasped jokingly and snatched his hand back from me. "Like you have any room to talk! You were already short in the first place, but I think that you shrank another three inches after all that time in the water. I didn't even know that it was physically possible for someone to be as short as you are right now."

I laughed and shoved him as we made our way back to camp, where we ate a quick dinner and settled down for the night. After an exhausting day of running and swimming, sleep found me quickly, and soon I was dreaming of little children with Ashton's blonde hair and my green eyes.

The night sky was pitch black when a cold hand clamped over my mouth yanked me from my peaceful sleep.

"Shhh. Be quiet."

Thank you for reading!

Hope you liked it :)