five

It was three in the morning and sat with my best friend, Tracy, our legs sprawled across the floor, hair in crazy styles, and most importantly, game controllers in hand, as we chugged on through our greatest sleepover ever

"SHOOT THE ALIEN!" Tracy screamed, or as I liked to call her, Inky, her short dyed jet black hair flipped around as she shook the game control in her hands, like that was supposed to solve anything. The two of us watched on the screen as the alien smashed the two of our characters on the screen, and to our dismay, a red 'Game Over' flashed at us back and forth, almost taunting us. We couldn't even get past level one.

"Geez, my brother's video games are harder than I anticipated," Inky said, and shook her head, throwing the game control on the floor with a clatter, in defeat. Inky had three older brothers, so she always tried to strive to be like them, but also, be a girl at the same time. The advantage to her having brothers was that she had the uncanny advantage of being so cool. Inky had trendy black clothing, short black hair, and a cool attitude. Her dark eyeliner was always on point, and her insults were just as good if someone was to mess with her. Assaying, losing to a little game hurt her, but she always had the swagger inside her, and I was sure she'd try a hundred times to beat the game after I left her house when the sleepover was over.

"That's why we don't mess with your brother's games," I said in return, earning an eye roll. "However, if video games keep me up, I'm all for it."

Then there was me. It was unusual for Inky and me to be friends, best of friends to be exact since we were so different. While Inky was an adult like me, she had no job, and stayed at her parent's home all the time, having all the time in the world to fool around, though I disagreed, which is why she invited me to so many sleepovers. I was a bit of an overachiever, and a bit too energetic apparently. I sacrificed sleep - no, gave up sleep, sleep was something I detested, for much more exciting things, such as drawing, writing, and most importantly, exercising. Slumber was more of a suggestion for me, like do not enter tape. Why go to sleep, when I could be doing much more pleasing, and fun things?

Sleep takes up a third of a human life, so if I lived to only sixty, I'd be awake for only forty years. With only averaging at five hours of sleep every day, I was determined and diligent to live my life as fun, and awesome as possible, which is why I worked as a simple paying fitness trainer, where I could always move and exercise, something Inky could never understand, like calculus.

"Girl, I honestly respect you and all with your 'sleep atheist' stuff, but please, I'm tired. Can we just go to sleep?" Inky put on a pouty face, something I didn't know she could pull off. However, I had a face of my own.

I shook my head vigorously and pulled out my phone. "It's called the greatest sleepover ever for a reason, silly. I'm staying up, all night, you can sleep, just know you'll be missing out on the super fun stuff I'll be doing while you're dreaming. While you're dreaming, I'll be achieving the things you can only dream of in sleep." I clicked on an app on my phone and waited for Inky's reply.